New Dehydrator help

Started by kfin, January 27, 2015, 05:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

I have used my little round plastic 5 tray dehydrator for several years and am going to treat myself to a nice shiny new one. I have basically narrowed it down to 2 from Cabelas but am still giving some thought to the LEM stainless one.

For those of you who have used any of these.....what are your opinions. I am comfortable with the cost of any of them so that is not the issue. I want the best one I can get.

Cabelas 80L

Cabelas 10 tray digital

Lem Stainless Steel 10 tray

Any input is welcome.
Thanks,
Keith

Mr Walleye

Hi Keith

I can't really comment on the other dehydrators but I do own the Cabelas 80L and have for probably at least 5 years or so. It has never missed a beat since I purchased it. I use it mainly for jerky and typically squeeze close to 20 lbs in it. with a full load it does take a little bit to get up to temp and I would recommend preheating it while you are loading the racks. The circulation inside is pretty good and depending on the load you may or may not have to rotate the racks. With a fuller load I typically rotate once.

I have absolutely no complaints and I would buy it again. The only complaint I've heard on it is it's fairly loud. I personally don't think it is but then again mine runs in a heated garage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

josbocc

Keith,

I had the LEM, and I now own the Cabelas 80l.  I would strongly recommend the Cabelas.  Although the LEM worked fine..., I do a ton of jerky, and what happens is that as the meat starts to get dry, all that metal on metal in the LEM starts to make a racket.  It rattles!

I also had an Excalibur 9 tray that worked fine..., but I like the Cabelas the best.  I can get a full 15 lbs. of Ground beef jerky into it.

The only trouble that I've ever had with my Cabelas, is that the on/off switch cracked.  I pulled it out, hard wired it, and now just turn it on/off with the plug.  Doesn't affect the timer function, the unit shuts off at the specified time.

That is my humble opinion on dehydrators.  Best of luck

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

kfin

Thanks for the replies. That is the one that I am leaning most towards right now. It looks pretty sturdy and I have read nobody that had complaints about the way it works.

My biggest question about the 80l is that while reading on here, and the Cabela's reviews.....it says that it has to be used inside or it won't get up to temp. One guy had it in his garage that was 52 degrees and said he had to turn on the heater in the garage to get it up to temp.

My wife has forbidden me to make jerky in the house with my old one. She says it sprays a "film" out the top hole...it is one of the plastic round ones. It gets on her cabinets and when she isn't happy....aint nobody happy. :) Is this an issue with it? I can't understand why it would not work on the screened in porch or the garage (unheated) if the little round plastic one does.

Thoughts on that?
Thanks again,
Keith

kfin

One more question on the 80l. Jeff you stated that you make ground jerky, that is the same as I do. Does a person need the drying screens for ground jerky? I have the frog mats from yard and pool for my bradley that I use on ground jerky in the smoker.

I want to get everything that I need. If they are necessary, would my frog mats work there also? Or should I just buck up and get the ones that are made for this dehydrator?

Mr Walleye

Hi Keith

I've also switched to mainly ground jerky and actually just did a 50 lb batch 10 days ago with it. The unit has a 1600 watt element in it and to be honest they really couldn't put a bigger one in it because most homes are running on a 15 amp circuit. My garage is at 63 degrees all winter and mine works fine in it. In fact, it raises the temperature in the garage. Starting empty and running up to 145 degrees it takes 10 minutes to reach the temperature. Certainly with a full load it takes much longer.

I would bet you will want to run it either in your garage or your basement. The air exits on the rear of the unit near the top. Not really conducive for setting on your cabinets... or at least it won't make Mama happy.  ;D

When I purchased mine I also bought the screens with it and I have never used them, they are still in the box they came in. I have never had a problem simply using the racks that came with it for any type of jerky, in fact I prefer not using screens.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Hi Keith.  I personally own the Excalibur dehydrator and am completely satisfied with it.  Were I buying it today I would opt for the digital model rather than the model I currently have but that's minor.  Given that the list you posted did not include the Excalibur I'll not post further about it.  On your list I would opt for the 80L based on all of the user reviews I have read on this forum over the years.  Among others, if Mr. Walleye endorses the 80L that's good enough for me.

Regardless of the models you choose, I would not recommend running your dehydrator in the kitchen as they are all loud and as has been stated "if Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy".

Good luck with your decision and let us know how you like the one you choose.

MoHuka

Keith..I also have the Excalibur and am totally satisfied.  I have made lots of jerky over the last 7 years with it with no problem.  The only thing mine did not have was a timer so I bought one off Amazon to plug into and I got it all...mine is a 9-rack and holds right at 10-lbs
MoSmoker

iceman

Excalibur. Came with screens and have had good luck with both of mine for many years.
Cabelas 80L also has a good track record.
Garage or shop only!  ;D NO HOUSE USE!  ;) Boss lady says so!  :(

tailfeathers

I have the Cabela's 10 tray digital and haven't had any problems, it works fine. That said I wouldn't buy it again for two reasons. The trays are made of a very brittle material and must be handled very carefully to avoid cracking or breakage. They are also a p.i.t.a. to wash and dry due to the way they are made. The other thing I don't like is the lack of a door, the 10 trays form the front so all must be in place for the dehydrator to function. Again, I will say that it works very well. If it were as easy to clean as it is to operate it would be the bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Bugnut

I have the Cabela's 160L and it works great. I use the screens for ground meat and also use frog mats. I did have my heating element go out from a power surge. Wasn't to bad to fix and Cabela's customer service handled ordering the part. I'd buy another one!