Smoking 2 Pork Shoulders for Superbowl

Started by KEVs77, January 27, 2015, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVs77

Hey guys!  First, I hope you all have a great superbowl!  I have smoked pork shoulders before but have never smoked 2 at a time.  I usually smoke 1 over night.  I don't need help with the rub, etc. just wondered if you had any tips/hints when smoking 2 at a time.  Do I need to rotate them to ensure even cooking?  I'm hoping to do it over night again.  I want to have them ready by around 1PM, what time do you guys think I should start?  I should mention I'm in SoCal so ambient temp isn't going to be a problem, forecast is for 60s Fahrenheit during the day upper 50s at night.  Also, how long do you recommend the FTC after they are done?  Thanks ahead of time guys!
"Smoking can cause deliciousness."

manfromplaid

I have done 3 at one time. they all finished at different times. which is not a problem thanks to FTC ( foil towel cooler ) base your finish time on the largest piece and aim to be done a little bit early so there is time if the pork needs more time. recovery time  and getting the heat up to temp are a slower process but that's about all that changes. 
good luck  enjoy the game.

KyNola

I would plan on starting 24 hours in advance of when you plan to serve them.  I have done 2 butts in the Bradley and it took 26 hours.  One thing you can do is to lay the smoke on them in the Bradley and then move them to your house oven set at the same temp you had the Bradley set.  Place them on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and allow them to finish cooking there.  Your house oven will give you a more consistent cooking temperature and quick recovery time if you are tempted to open the oven door.

If they are done early, you can easily FTC them for 4 hours and they will still burn your fingers when you pull them.

Hope this helps.  Others will come along with better advice.

KEVs77

Thanks guys.  I will be sure to take pics.  I have never used a finishing sauce but was thinking of doing it this time around.  I found this recipe:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Any hints on the sauce to lb ratio and application of the sauce?

I intend to make a BBQ sauce as well.  Anyone have an easy killer recipe for a good BBQ sauce?

I have always used a family recipe mustard based sauce with sweet baby rays for others wanting a red sauce.  Never used finishing sauce but the pork shoulders turned out great, can't wait to see what the finishing sauce will do to them.

TedEbear

You could always smoke them a few days early and reheat on game day.  Many people think smoke pulled pork tastes better a day or two later.  Smoke it, pull it and put it in the fridge in a covered pan.  A couple of hours before you're ready to serve them add a cup or so of apple juice in the pan, wrap it in foil and stick it in your house oven at 225 until the IT reaches around 140*F.

You could also reheat in a crock pot but you might not be able to fit both of them in there.

Smoking them ahead of time means you do not have to worry about everything getting done on time and you're not running around messing with them and you'll have more time to spend with your friends as they arrive.

tskeeter

KEVs77, that looks like the same finishing sauce recipe I use.  If I remember correctly, that quantity is suitable for 10 pounds of pulled pork.

As far as application goes, I put the sauce in a squeeze bottle and apply it to the pork after I have pulled it.  I also like to have more finishing sauce on hand for people to add if they want.  Rather than applying the finishing sauce to all your pork, you could just let each person add their own.

tailfeathers

Find the recipe for 10.5s Bulldog sauce. It's unbeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Found the recipe, here it is:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1 tablespoon Dales Seasoning
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or more depending on taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Combine and simmer until mixture is smooth (5 to 10 minutes)

**Note if you double this recipe it fits right back into a normal sized bottle of ketchup with just a little to spare.

With credit and thanks to 10.5!!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KEVs77

Thanks man, I'm going to try it.  I found it as well but thanks for posting here.  I couldn't find the Dale's anywhere around me, but boom...there it is on Amazon and it's a prime item so free shipping and get here by FRI.  Perfect. 

manfromplaid

I use ten.5 bulldog sauce on lots of my pulled pork. even middle of the road for heat and or sweetness.  have the last of my PP sitting on the counter ( with bulldog sauce already mixed in) just enough to cover the 12 in. pizza I am doing for supper tonight.

KEVs77

Got the piggies today.  Used my old rub, used molasses on 1(never tried before), prepared the 10.5G sauce, added a little cornstarch slurry to make it really thick, and made the finishing sauce.  Getting excited!

KEVs77

Well, one of the piggies got too hot early(6AM).  My maverick Redi-check read at 196 when I pulled it out.  I used an old school and it read in upper 180s.  Looks and feels done.  Now is in FTC mode.  I probably can't keep it in until 1PM because of the temp drop, correct?  Should I check the temp in like 3-4 hours to make sure it didn't drop below 140?

manfromplaid

its already cooked so its past the danger zone

KEVs77

I'm talking about being in the cooler for an extended period of time.  The temp will drop over time. I wanted to know how long/when to check temp.

KyNola

If you have it wrapped in foil and a towel and then placed in a dry cooler, you should be fine with the extended time.