What about adding fruit to smoked sausages?

Started by AkBillyBow, January 28, 2015, 10:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AkBillyBow

On my last visit to Wisconsin, I found a Landjeager that had Cherries in it.  I had never heard of this before, so of course I had to buy some.  They were outstanding!!  The sausage was made locally and the Cherries were "prise winning Cherries" from Door county, WI.

I am looking for ideas about how the home sausage maker can do this.  First off, would this be safe and acceptable....or does it sound like a bad idea?  Then, if it sounds do-able....how would you approach this?  Should the cherries be fresh or dried?  Diced and mixed in or ground with the meat?

I will be making a batch of Landjeagergers this week and am wondering if I should try adding cherries to some of it.  Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks.....AkBillyBow

renoman

I haven't done this but I would dice them and add them after grinding the meat as you would with jalapenos. I would also use dried cherries.

AkBillyBow

Thanks for your input Renoman!!  I looked for cherries at the grocery store, and didn't find any...not in season in January I guess !!  I will look for dried cherries, as that sounds like it is the better choice.

Thanks!!!

tskeeter

I like Renoman's logic.  You use fresh peppers, why wouldn't you use fresh or dried fruit?

iceman

I use dried apples in my chicken sausage and they turn out great. I re hydrate them in brandy over night and mix them in after grinding the meat.
I say go for it with dried cherries.
BTW could you please share the Landjeager recipe ?  :)

AkBillyBow

OK, I took renoman's suggestion and added dried cherries to my Landjeagers.  I mixed and stuffed them tonight, but will not smoke them until tomorrow.  I need to get my ring bologna done first.....they are still in the smoker.

Iceman, I used the Cabela's Landjaeger mix.  I have no idea how it will taste, but I will let you know.  Heck, if they turn out I will even let you try them for yourself!!  I live in Palmer....so we are neighbors!!

I did not like the casing size that came with the Cabela's Landjaeger kit, though.  They were 32-34 mm hog casing, which to me are best used for brats, Italian Sausages, etc.  I am used to Landjaegers much smaller.  A Landjaeger should be a snack stick; these things are so big 1 of them could be considered a meal.

My next attempt will be a mixed recipe, not a store bought premix.  Unless of course, these turn out really good!!  But, I will surely use a smaller casing next time.

AkBillyBow

renoman

AkBillyBow,
Cabella's "Beer Salami" is an excellent premix if you want to give it a try. Another excellent premix is Hi Mountain's "Pepper Blend" for jerky or snack sticks. The one thing I don't like about the premixes is how they stick so bad to everything. Not sure what they use for a binder but it's a bear to clean up. Cleanup of the grinder and stuffer is 3 times the work.

Enid

That casing size is correct for traditional landjaeger. It is stuffed loosely then pressed flat to about 1/2" thick. I use 29/32mm casings.

AkBillyBow

Enid, I think your choice of 29-32 mm would be better.  Mine did turn out OK.  I tried to stuff them very loosely, but it was a bit challenging.  I felt like I was waisting alot of casing, and a bit smaller would have been better.  But, they did shrink down enough that the smaller ones do look like the traditional size, but some of them are just too meaty.

I will need to start a picture hosting account so I can add pics.  I really wish you could just load them directly to this site.  I had many issues with Photo Bucket in the past, and am really not looking forward to using another web site for pictures.  Guess I will have to bite the bullet!!

Thanks for all of your help and comments!!

AkBillyBow

tailfeathers

If you have a smart phone you can post pics directly from your phone using the Tapatalk app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!