Buy a bradley or go diff route

Started by sullivanin, January 29, 2015, 05:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sullivanin

Ok so back in 2008 or 2009 i had a 4 rack digital bradley loved it. After the second year i started having trouble with it keeping the temp up and come that winter i could crank it full blow and not get a cooking temp when ever below 70 degees out side id have to keep adjusting turn off back on. I bought it for the set it n forget it part. Ik you dont forget a smoker but u get my point. So it went from making some of the best bbq iv had twice a week to once a month. When it finally quit which i partly blame on i left it outside in a rain stop covered up. I took it out gave it a respectible burial for a smoker. Ie 2 pounds of tenarite and a 7.62mm round. The top went 100 in the area.

Iv missed having a smoker ever since and its time for a new one. Giving the issues iv had im stuck on getting a new bradley or a steel smoker using wood.
Have there been any improvements in the heating system. Would i still be better off going with a bradley. Not looking to cater a party just family dinners

dave01

Gafala

I have had my Bradley for over 2 years there has been some issues but nothing I couldn't handle, I did add the 900 watt mod and PID and no problems.

Buy a Bradley

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

iceman

I have a collection of smokers  :o Way to many  ;D Just ask the boss lady!
Funny thing though, I Keep going to the Bradley for my day to day smoking projects.
Today I ran a batch of cheese at 0 degrees f with just the generator and it kept at 65f.
Every brand has a few kinks but Bradley seems to have the upper edge on customer service.
Even when I build bigger and better towers I still use the Bradler generators.
On the long haul I think you are better sticking with the champ- Bradley!
Just say'n  :)

watchdog56

Bradley did go through a bad spell of heating elements for a year or two. They were great on replacing them. I added a second element to mine with a switch so if I wanted to I could use one or both elements. It is always nice to have a spare element just in case one goes out when you need it the most.

KyNola

I purchased my digital 4 rack in 2007.  It has never failed to come up to heat and I am still on the original element.  No complaints from me.

Dano

Being this is a Bradley forum - I'm sure everyone will cheer if you vote "Bradley" but honestly I had the same tough decision awhile back.  Wood, whether it be with or without charcoal I find produces the best tasting product IMHO but Bradley is certainly convenient with the digital and mods(Aubrens, increased wattage etc.).  If you want hot and cold smoke flexibility you already have your answer unless you build your own adapter for the non-Bradley.  It definitely makes things like cold smoking cheese and bacon easier.  That extra added taste vs. convenience is what you're looking at so go with your gut 'cause your brain doesn't have taste buds.

Best of luck with whatever Bradley you choose. ;)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

tskeeter

Can't tell you what decision to make, but I can tell you that three years ago I got rid of my Masterbuilt and got a Bradley for the same reason you originally selected a Bradley.  I wanted more of a set it and forget it operation.

While my Bradley hasn't been issue free, the issues that I have had were issues that I caused.  Fortunately, they were easy and not very expensive to fix.  And the guys here have been great about helping me figure out what the problem was.

Too bad you sent your smoker for a ride.  Even if water had destroyed your smoke generator, $150 for a new smoker generator is a lot less than the cost of an entirely new smoker.

TedEbear

Quote from: sullivanin on January 29, 2015, 05:00:33 PM
Have there been any improvements in the heating system. Would i still be better off going with a bradley. Not looking to cater a party just family dinners

They still come from the factory with a single 500W element.  If you smoke in cold weather it might struggle to reach the setpoint.  Some owners have built fancy enclosures to shield their Bradley from the wind and that helps a bit.  Had you kept yours you could have done the dual element mod, where you add a second 500W element, and that takes care of the heating problem.

Also, if you like precision temp control, you could have added a PID controller and that keeps the setpoint to within a few degrees.  If you go that route I suggest getting an OBS, since you will be bypassing the features of the digital smoker with a PID controller.  An Auber PID controller costs anywhere from $45 to around $190, depending on if you want to assemble it yourself or get a plug-n-play version.

My OBS has the dual element mod and a $45 Auber PID and I am quite happy with it.

sullivanin

My element quit out was the issue. I plan on the pid and daul element later anyway. How hard are the pid to build

TedEbear

Quote from: sullivanin on February 01, 2015, 02:07:07 PM
My element quit out was the issue. I plan on the pid and daul element later anyway. How hard are the pid to build

Here's a link to a how-to guide on how someone installed one in a project box and where someone else installed his in the smoke generator.  I went the smoke generator route since there are less exposed wires and I like keeping things neat and tidy.

PID Controller

TMB

Like Iceman, I have a lot of cookers (now at 15) I did have an issue with the heater element but since I replaced it,  it has been bullet proof  ;D

I just bought a Rec-Tec smoker because I needed more room than the Bradley has.  Bradley has it beat for smoking sausages and hams and can keep a good control over lower temps then the Rec-tec

Get the Bradley if room is not an issue
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!