Sure Gel for a binder

Started by doz759, January 30, 2015, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doz759

Was wandering if anyone has used sure gel for a binder and if so what quantity and what was the results. Trying to get my spice stix to look a little better.

iceman

I've used the COLD PHOSPHATE in snack sticks which worked out well. The sure gel has a dairy (milk) product in it so I don't know if the results would be the same. Both are designed to increase moisture retention in the sausage. Heck, follow the directions and give it a try  :)

tskeeter

Looked up the ingredient declaration for Sure Gel.  It contains three ingredients.  Dextrose, citric acid, and fruit pectin.  No dairy products in Sure Gel.   

I'm betting that Iceman is thinking that dextrose is a dairy product as it is often seen in the ingredient declaration for dairy products and it seems to me that there is a dairy byproduct with a similar name.  Dextrose is a plant based sweetener (a form of glucose).  One of the more common plant sources for dextrose is corn.  I suspect that the primary purpose of dextrose in Sure Gel is to act as a carrier for the pectin and citric acid, the same way salt is used as a carrier for the nitrites and nitrates used to cure meat.

doz759

I looked at the package and it said powdered milk in it. It worked ok. The sausage didn't shrink as much as usual. I think this must be a different type sure jell than i was thinking

tskeeter

Quote from: doz759 on February 02, 2015, 11:50:03 AM
I looked at the package and it said powdered milk in it. It worked ok. The sausage didn't shrink as much as usual. I think this must be a different type sure jell than i was thinking

Interesting.  I'll have to look at the different versions of Sure Gel next time I'm at the grocery store.  I know there are two or three different versions, but wasn't aware there was a version with powdered milk in it.

Powdered milk or whey protein concentrate (WPC) are pretty common binders/moisture retainers in sausage recipes.  The kielbasa recipe I use calls for WPC or nonfat dry milk.  It seems to work well.  Makes a sausage that I really like.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tskeeter on February 03, 2015, 11:36:31 AM

Interesting.  I'll have to look at the different versions of Sure Gel next time I'm at the grocery store.  I know there are two or three different versions, but wasn't aware there was a version with powdered milk in it.

You are referring to a different Sure Gel that is use for home jam and jelly making. The Sure Gel doz759 is referring to is a meat binder. Do a search for "Sure Gel Meat Binder".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)