Temperature Swings ???

Started by Orion, December 25, 2014, 08:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Something's not right.  I'm seeing a DROP of cabinet internal temperature of 22'F from pre-set value. Set to 140'F and it reaches that and then rapidly drops to 118'F. Then takes it's time reheating again and runs UP to 158'. Cycles back and forth. That's a 40`temp swing!

Unit was preheated to 200'F with two foil wrapped bricks within. Then reset to 140`. Bricks really don't effect the fact that it drops 22' though.

I can only think that the thermostat or temp sensor is faulty. If it's designed to fluctuate that much I'm not happy with it at all. Really messing up my Jerky Project.

Help!
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

TedEbear

Supposedly, a regular house oven has wide temps swings, too.  We just don't monitor it that closely.  A PID controller will regulate the temp to within a few degrees if you feel you need that precise of a temp control.

Orion

Appreciate your input TB. Didn`t expect temp to swing this far.  Have a great Christmas day with your family and friends. :)

Orion

I thought I had puck issues too however seem to have sorted that out. Merry Christmas to all. :)

dave01

Like TedEbear said, a PID will give you tighter temps. As your meat temps improve the smokers temp swings should get better or at least that was my experience

trevorandlori

Try something like this, it evens things out as it acts as a temperature buffer. You can now open the door as you please, and only lose 10F in -20 weather.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/trevorandlori/media/CastIrongrillasheatbuffer_zps9d49a2f6.jpg.html

Extra heavy cast iron grill from a Centro BBQ (The only heavy duty piece on that POS)