Fixed my temperature fluctuations

Started by CasperTr11, November 26, 2014, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperTr11

Good day all, for those that don't know me I am a new member and had replied to a post from another new member about temperature variations as I was having the same problem.  That member's problem was due to a faulty sensor.  What created my problem was user error so I took down my response to the other member's post.  I provide the following so that others don't assume their unit is malfunctioning like I did mine.

During pre-heat:  The temperatures are all over the map.  With two sensors from a Maveick 733 I found that the temp difference between the top and bottom racks as being different by 40-80 F from one another and even more compared to the Bradley readout.  However,  I noticed that during cycles where the element is off all three readouts would decrease and meet at the same temperature at which time the element would kick in and the spread would happen.  This lessens as the unit heats.

Final temp reading is a different story.  Once the Bradley is fully preheated my readings are within 4 degrees of each other.  For example, right before starting this post I put two racks of ribs into the smoker.  The outdoor temp is approx 50 F (I think... it's 8 C) and it's raining.  Since beginning this post I have been watching my Maverick probes which are on the top and bottom racks in the smoker rise together from 180 to a now 210 (I have 230 set) and remaining within 4 degrees of each other and within 3 of the Bradley. 

Short story is that for me adequate preheating is absolutely necessary to get a uniform temp.  Also, I preheat two patio stones in my oven at 400 for an hour and put them on the bottom of the Bradley when I put my food in to help with regaining temp.  Works like a charm.

Very happy with this smoker now that I have become educated.

tskeeter

Thanks for the feedback, Casper!  Information like this helps new Bradley users learn about how their smokers operate.  And I don't know that I've seen anyone else do the diagnostics that you've done to figure out what's going on during the preheat cycle.

KyNola

Without modifications to a Bradley you will find 20+/- degree temp swings because that is how the Bradley is designed, just like your house oven.  Set the temp on a Bradley and the heating element will run to approximately 10 degrees above the set point.  The heating element will shut off and the temp in the tower will drop to about 10 degrees below the set point.  At that time the heating element kicks back on and the cycle starts all over again.  As the meat in the tower comes up to temp the heat swings lessen until they are spot on.

Thanks for bringing it up again.  Might help some folks who are bummed out about how they think an electric smoker should perform.

CasperTr11

Not to flog a dead horse, but I felt it was important to add one last reply to this discussion.  In trouble shooting my problem I thought that I was having wild temperature variations within the cabinet itself.  I was using two Maverick probes and found that they were giving me a different reading than the Bradley probe to the point where my Mavericks were 20 degrees off and then even more off from the Bradley and that the biggest differences where when the element was on. 

My father-in-law, an engineer and fellow Bradley user, pointed out that if the temperature probes have line of sight to the element they will measure incorrectly (he explained it in engineering type terms which caused me to reach for my beer and nod).  Anyway, I waited for night fall and cranked up my Bradley, opened the door and looked down at the louvered metal plate.  Sure enough I could see the element through it as the openings had become damaged after use and washing. 

Long story short, without blocking the holes I fixed the louvered openings and now that none of my sensors have line of sight to the element they are in agreement...the Mavericks are within two degrees and they are within 8 of the Bradley.

Orion

Interesting information. Thanks for following up.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

dave01

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712