Ground and formed bacon

Started by Northern_Smoke, February 03, 2015, 06:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just a smokin

Hello there , i was just wondering if you might have some of these companies names who have this bacon mix. I never heard of this before , could be a good thing when sort of cleaning out the fridge or deep freeze.I see you just did your own , i must say wow that really looks good .Hey sort of dumb question here ,but what would you think if a person did exactly what you did only the mixing (spices)would be a mild jerky mix instead ? anyways i was just thinking about this.

thanks in advance Dan

scubadoo97

Northern_Smoke

I have added jerky flavouring before and actually made the ground pork as Jerky and it tastes fantastic. In fact most people prefer it over beef. I know Owens BBQ makes a mix and I believe there was another company mentioned in the post. I had never really thought to do a Ground and formed version so I had never searched for a mix. But once I saw the mix and the ingredients i said heck yah, I have everything needed to make my own.

This is the one I had seen and loosely based mine off of http://owensbbq.com/uploads/3/1/7/4/3174254/_ground_formed_bacon.docx
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Anter

I think it'll be really tasty. Thank's for a link...

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Divey

Quote from: Northern_Smoke on February 03, 2015, 04:38:59 PM
I would think 80/20 would work out nicely I am sure my mix was much leaner than that using the elk and it turned out nice.

If anyone is interested in quantities they are as follows:
Salt 2.5%
Brown sugar 1%
Cure 0.25%
And here is where things get "iffy". I had my kids helping and they were dumping the ingredients in before I could get weights on a few of them so the maple syrup was 1/4 cup for the 4.5 pounds of meat and the NFDM was 1/2 cup. I will be making this again so I will get an accurate weight so I can keep with this style of measurement. It just makes it easy for the excel file to auto calculate based on the weight of the meat. Anyways, this produced a sweeter bacon than most store bought but we liked it. If I were to do it again and want saltier I don't think I would increase the salt but rather cut the maple syrup or brown sugar back. But any way you look at this. It is a keeper in our recipe book :)

Am I correct in assuming that NFDM is Non Fat Dry Milk powder ???

oldsmoker

OLDSMOKER