Fresh Bratwurst

Started by uplandpointer, February 03, 2015, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplandpointer

I plan to have some buds over for Brats and beer and was thinking I mite try some fresh brats in the smoker. My question is how long and at what temp would I want to do this for to have them cooked and smoked  but not all dried out? 

Thanks for your replies.

Brad

TedEbear

I've read some good results from smoking brats although I've always grilled them.  Actually, mine involve simmering (NOT boiling) at a low heat in apple juice with water and sweet onions for 20 minutes.  Then, brown them on the grill for 4-6 minutes.  Serve.

Also, here's a thread I started on Juicy Grilled Brats.

Here's some great tips if you want to try smoking them:  Smoking Bratwurst Guide

uplandpointer

Thanks  that is what I was looking for. About 200 for a few hours.

Salmonsmoker

Traditionally the Brats are simmered in beer and then grilled. Nice plate TedEbear.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ragweed

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 04, 2015, 07:10:50 AM
Traditionally the Brats are simmered in beer and then grilled. Nice plate TedEbear.

X2  That's the way we did it when I was in college.  I remember my Dad and I stuffing 100 lbs of brats for one "gathering"!!!

uplandpointer

Not much for the beer taste of Brats. And don't want to just simmer them. Was thinking that I would rather just load up the smoker and hydrate myself wile they made there selves all full of goodness.

tskeeter

ULP, is the sausage you want to smoke cured?  Generally, folks do not recommend smoking fresh (uncured) sausage.

Bacteria grows most rapidly at a temperature between about 40F and 140F.  The rule of thumb is that you don't want your meat to be in that danger zone for more than a cumulative total of four hours.  Since most folks smoke a bratwurst sized sausage by drying it at about 135F for an hour or so, then smoking the sausage at 160F - 165F for two to four hours, and then cooking to about 152F, by the time the sausage was made, smoked, and then cooked, it will likely spend longer than it should in the dangerous temperature range.

If you plan on using a cured sausage, the cure controls the bacteria development.  So the time at temp is not an issue.

Although not generally recommended by those well versed in food safety, some folks have been known to cold smoke uncured sausage.  Can be done, but you are taking risks that many people prefer to avoid.  Just depends on whether you are willing to take the chance that your guests will get sick, or not. 

Habanero Smoker

If you follow the directions in the link that TedEBear posted, and keep the cabinet temperature at 200°F or higher, you will be fine. I would skip the paragraph beginning with "A minority of bratwurst smoking fans..." Smoking fresh sausage this way is done when you want to consume them right after they are fully smoked/cooked. You may even want to toss them on the grill at the end for some grill marks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

uplandpointer

Thanks fro the reply guys. Some good info.