Summer sausage

Started by Buck6464, February 07, 2015, 12:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck6464

I see reference to Kirby's recipe how would I get that recipe thanks in advance

cobra6223

Go to susanminor.org its the site where recipes from here get posted and the search summer sausage recipes. Once you get there you can follow the prompts, I never have registered but I also don't post anything there I just search for recipes. Another option if not in hurry wait for Kirby to come along and post it for you he is a GREAT guy and always willing to help someone and share his ideas. Good luck !!

Buck6464

cobra6223

hey your very welcome now lets see some pics please.

pikeman_95

Buck
send me your personal Email in a PM and I will send you the excel sheet. It recalculates the spice weights when you change the batch size.
Kirby

tskeeter

Buck, you're on the right track to be seeking out Kirby's SS recipe.  It's really good.  And Kirby was very helpful in coaching me when I had questions.

One of the things that I found with Kirby's recipe is that it is hard to evenly blend the mustard seed with the other spices.  So, to help keep the distribution of the mustard seed even throughout the SS I first press ground meat into a sheet in a sheet pan.  Then I sprinkle on the spice blend.  And then I sprinkle on the mustard seed. And then I hand mix the meat and run it through a second grind.

Forming the meat into a sheet reduces the mixing required because the the spices are spread throughout the meat when they are applied.  (I use a cheese shaker to apply spices.)  The second grind also helps ensure that spices get evenly distributed.  I use a medium plate for both the first and second grind to prevent getting an emulsified, hot dog like, meat mixture.     

bundy