Is this recipe safe?

Started by mustangmoe, February 07, 2015, 12:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustangmoe

With only a IT of 135 F and in the danger zone for so long even being cured is this still safe?

Lancaster County Dried Beef
Ingredients
• 3-5 Lbs beef round roasts
• 1 Tbsp. Tenderquick for each lb. of beef
• 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar for each lb. of beef
• 1 Tbsp. Cracked black pepper
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• 3 bay leaves (crushed)
• 1 dried chili pepper (crushed)
• 10 juniper berries (crushed)
Directions
Trim beef well of all fat and sinew. Mix all cure ingredients together in a bowl. Rub cure over entire surface of meat. Coat well. Place roasts along with remaining cure into a gallon ziploc bag. Place bag into fridge for 12 days, turning every couple days.
Smoke at 130 F. For 8-12 hours.
Bump smoker up to 160 F. And smoke until internal temp of meat reaches 135 F.
Place roasts back into fridge (uncovered) for 5 days to dry before slicing. Slice thin

Habanero Smoker

This is a cured, and the curing recipe is sound. Applying smoke at 130°F for 8 - 12 hours is safe, though with the Bradley you won't have to apply as much smoke. I would air dry it at 130°F for 2 - 4 hours, to develop some color, then start applying the smoke; maybe 4 hours. and the 135°F internal meat temperature is safe. With solid muscle beef, you have to mainly worry about the surface of the meat. Granted I have never cooked cured beef to 135°F, but mainly because I'm curing and cooking tougher cuts. If you don't feel comfortable with the 135° internal temperature cook until it is 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)