Roast Preperation

Started by Orion, February 07, 2015, 06:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

3 lb Venision  Sirloin Tip roast : I thawed it and found it to have inordinate amount of juice (for lack of a better word) draining from it. I Gave it a reasonable coating of Jans Rub and the rub basically dissolved on the surface but did give it a nice colour and is definitely doing its job. It's been in the fridge for 18 hours and I will smoke it tomorrow .

This will be only my third smoke, ribs were first, then jerky. Should I put it in a little tin foil tray to hold the fluids or just on the rack and let it weep? Suggest a good smoke for venison?

Thanks.

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

renoman

Give it a mild rub. Put it on a trivet in a pan and cook it at 175-185 until your desired temp is reached. I am guessing 5 hrs. Smoke it for a couple hours. You should have maybe 3 drops of juice. The only thing I have found my Bradley really good at is keeping a consistent low temp for slow cooking roasts providing you are using a PID to keep the temp steady.

Orion

Thanks Renoman. A trivet being a little rack? I'm kind of winging it as I don't have a PID yet. Do you have an Auber? If so, how many days from ordering until it arrived?

Gafala

I ordered my PID and had it in two days.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Orion

Wow, that's good delivery. I'm in Canada so it would probably be a bit longer. I think I will get it done on Monday. I'm thinking that newest dual probe model would do a good job? It just plugs in a away you go right?

Orion

Gafala

All the Bradley plug a play work with out any mods, With a PID if you later want to add a second heater or go for a 900w heater you have a PID to control them.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.