First Salmon

Started by Davemartin88, February 15, 2015, 01:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davemartin88

Smoked our first salmon fillet last night, it was great. Used the recipe from the Bradley site where the salmon is smoked on a bed of cinnamon sticks. Salmon had great smoke flavor (apple) and stayed moist and flaky. Will definitely do this one again. I also smoked a pork loin and we'll reheat it for dinner tonight- made up a half recipe of Jans Rub, taste test before putting it in the fridge last night says it is going to be great!

Smokeville

I've often wondered about that recipe. I'm glad to hear it was a success!

Kummok

Wouldn't have thought of using cinnamon sticks on salmon...good job!

Davemartin88

We finished the rest of this salmon last night, reheated in the oven and just as good as the first time! Not sure how much the cinnamon actually affects the taste but probably won't change my approach for the next time. Five degrees outside today so will probably give the smoker a rest although I did smoke some cheese yesterday while the temps were in the low teens- pretty easy to keep the oven cool even without a smoke box.

Smoker John

Nice looking salmon, I'm planning on trying that recipe. Is that the one where they mention wasabi in the title but there was actually none in the recipe??
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Davemartin88

Yes, that's the recipe. I used a splash of Sirachi sauce when we made the recipe.

07Midnight

Where did you find the repice?

Rugaroo

Sorry but that looks more like cooked salmon with smoke than smoked salmon.

First thing I notice is that you smoked it at too high a temp or came up to temp too fast.  This is evidenced by the white albumin you have on the fish.  Did you smoke the fish and pork together?

Secondly, not sure what the recipe is but it looks like it didn't spend enough time in the brine.

I'm sure it was tasty but not for me.

Kummok

Is this more of wht you had in mind, Rugaroo?

pmmpete

Kummok, what is the pipe structure which surrounds your smoker racks?  Is it a big rolling rack which rolls into a large smoker?  Please publish a picture which shows the entire thing and your smoker.

Kummok

The photo closeup makes it look larger than it is. It is constructed of solid SS rod and custom made to fit 8 Bradley jerky racks. Here's a photo of it taken during a smoking class I was giving...

Rugaroo

Quote from: Kummok on January 20, 2016, 01:53:05 PM
Is this more of wht you had in mind, Rugaroo?

Yeppers.  Looks very tasty!

Davemartin88

Quote from: Rugaroo on January 18, 2016, 10:14:17 AM
Sorry but that looks more like cooked salmon with smoke than smoked salmon.

First thing I notice is that you smoked it at too high a temp or came up to temp too fast.  This is evidenced by the white albumin you have on the fish.  Did you smoke the fish and pork together?

Secondly, not sure what the recipe is but it looks like it didn't spend enough time in the brine.

I'm sure it was tasty but not for me.

Pork and salmon weren't done together. This was a first try for me and it did get a little hot too quickly. We've gotten better since this one. There wasn't any brine involved. Here's the link to the recipe.

http://www.north-america.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/smoked-sesame-ginger-wasabi-salmon/

I'll make sure not to invite you over when we have this again, lol. Sorry it was so unappealing to you.

I'm sure your first try was perfect!

Orion

Your salmon looks pretty darn tasty to me DaveM. I would never turn down that down or complain if some one put it on my plate. Good job and please continue to post pictures and write ups on your cooking.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.