Vac seal eggs?

Started by uplandpointer, February 28, 2015, 01:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplandpointer

How long will vac sealed eggs last in the fridge? I am smoking some and want to try to keep some for a extended time. 

Habanero Smoker

This is a difficult question. Once eggs are hard boiled they have a refrigerator self life of about seven days, whether left in the shell or peeled. Smoke has some antibacterial properties and that may extended the self life for another three or four days. Eggs have a lot of moisture, so I don't know if vacuum sealing and leaving it in the refrigerator for an extended time will be safe or not. Also freezing hard boiled eggs is not recommended unless you make egg salad.

Have you given any thought about pickling them?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

uplandpointer

Yes pickling them and also some Deviled. Got them done in 4 days.  I was just thinking because you see them in vac sealed bags at the C store.

Habanero Smoker

Sometimes I buy vacuum sealed hard boiled eggs when I need to make a lot of devil eggs. The brands that I buy always have an added preservative. Such as potassium sorbate, or some other citric acid to extend the shelf life. You can buy potassium sorbate online, but I have never used it, and would not know how to use it in this type of application.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)