first time brisket

Started by manfromplaid, February 28, 2015, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

I know this topic is brought up a lot but I do need a little bit more info on cook temps. I read a lot of older posts and saw that cooking time can be all over the place.going to put my just under 14 lb packer in the smoker sunday eve for Monday supper. my question is can I start my cook at 200 for the overnight portion and raise to 225 in the morning. I hope to not have a finished brisket early in the day. my plan is to start around 9 pm. I am using the pachanga brisket method except I am going to let it soak up the rub overnight..
thanks   jeff

pensrock

I see no problem by cooking at 200 overnight. But I would make sure to empty and refill the water bowl before letting the go overnight once the smoking part is finished. You would not want it to build up used pucks and grease and possibly cause a fire without it being watched. If it gets done before dinner you can FTC for several hours and keep it hot for serving. I would rather it be done a little early than have a crowd waiting for dinner. :)

beefmann

another item to be concerned with on long  cooks is the meat  drying  out, doing  over night  cooks can help with getting the  meat done in time, If the mead is left in the smoker to keep warm it will dry  out and become tough,

best thing  to do  is start it at  200 like you  have  indicated  then bump it  to  225,  when you  bump it to  225 pull the brisket wrap it in  foil add  in a  cup or  so of  apple juice  or  cider,, or some other  flavoured  drink to keep the meat juicy and wrap it up tight, then  continue  to cook  till  done,

just my  two  cents

manfromplaid

still giving myself 21 hrs to do this cook so will use the crutch if I need it. going to stay up till the smoke ends an replace water tray with foil tray for more volume. got that all in the plan was just concerned about starting lower temp then bumbing.. thanks for the reply  will post pics later
jeff

TedEbear

Those little 9x13 disposable aluminum pans fit in the bottom of the Bradley pretty well and hold a lot of water.  I replaced my water bowl with one of those.  You still might want to refill it with fresh water one or two times during your smoke session.

Remember, the rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb.  If you're starting out at 200*F you'll probably be on the high end of the time estimate.  Don't panic when it hits the stall and rush it through.  That's when the magic happens and it may sit there for hours with barely any rise in IT.

manfromplaid

.     A couple racks of peanuts to get started. .    And into the smoker you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

So, how are things coming along?  Does it appear like it will be finished by dinner tonight?  Remember, it is good to finish a few hours early so the brisket can "relax" and let the juices redistribute throughout.  Don't forget the pics.   :)

manfromplaid

06:30 here I did my check bumped temp to 225  IT is 154 and rising . the meat sat at 146-150 for almost 4 hrs     would that be considered a stall and will I get another one. I think I am ok on my times and will be able to ftc for at least a couple hrs.

TedEbear

The stall temp for mine, whether I'm smoking a brisket or pork butt, is around 160*F.  If it seems like it will not be done on time you can wrap it in foil with a little apple juice and it'll speed things up.  Don't be tempted to increase the chamber temp up to 250 or higher because the result will not be as tender.

manfromplaid

Temp over 170 looking good

Smoker John

That is looking mighty fine
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

manfromplaid

I think i will do that again. Moist cut with fork tender juices made great gravy for the smashed spud. Kudos from family and friends. Got all the info from this site how great is that. Sliced pencil thick pull apart num num num

iceman

ragweed

That last picture did it, Jeff!  Now I've got to get a brisket no matter how expensive they are here!  Looks fabulous.  Great job!!

manfromplaid

the price on these is a real kicker :o this brisket was 13.5 lbs/6.15 kg  and  was only AA/select grade. lucky for me it was on sale so down from 5.55 per lb to 3.88 which is is very pricey for a hunk of meat that not to long ago nobody wanted. for my next one I will find AAA/choice. it was good