Gonna have me a mini-smoke out.

Started by Thumpinbass, March 01, 2015, 11:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

Between later today thru Wednesday, I will be doing 4 briskets totaling 54 lbs.    I am making these for a church dinner. 

I will do the 2 biggest briskets first for 4 hrs in the BDS using Apple smoke.   Transfer these to the oven for the remaining duration.   Then take the 2 smaller ones and put them in the BDS for 4 hrs of Apple smoke and then continue those in the BDS til they are done.   With any luck, they will all finish relatively close to one another.   

Depending on when they all get done, they will either get FTC'd til I start dishing out or they will go in the fridge til I need them. 

My only question is...    If I throw them in the fridge and then reheat them down at the church.   I know I need to add beef broth, cover with foil and reheat.  I believe I saw somewhere that you should reheat them to 140 degrees.    Is this correct??

It's going to be a long couple days depending on how long they take.   

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beefmann

reheating to 140- 150 F is good,  are you  planning to do pulled brisket?  If so and if you have  them  use crock pots or large roasters they also can  come in  quite handy, I know that the 22 quart roasters can handle 30 lbs of meat quite easily and  still have  some room. a 7 quart  crock  pot can  handle around 9 - 10 lb  shredded meat.

and it  looks like you  have a  good plan going and a good  event

Good luck and have  fun

Thumpinbass

Hello,    It will be sliced, not pulled.    I will reheat it first before I slice it to try and keep it moist.

Thanks for the help

Allen

Thumpinbass

Just 1 of the 4 I'm doing.   

Allen

beefmann

Thumpinbass

Alright guys.   The mini-smoke out I had ended up turning out a success.   There were times when I felt like I took on too much of a job doing this but ended all well.    Worse part is I have to now fix the BDS.   Keeps feeding pucks continuously with a 'E'.   But luckily I was able to keep going.  I don't have a lot of pics but I'll post the couple I do have. 

Rubbed down with mustard and the dry rub.  (Jan's rub)

Bottom 2 just came out of BDS after 4 hrs of Apple smoke and now going in oven.  Top 2 are getting ready to go into the BDS.

After all said and done, this is one of the briskets with the point and flat separated.   If you can't tell from the pic, this brisket along with the other 3 were moist beyond belief.  It was awesome.  I mean with the exception that it was supposed to be sliced brisket and ended up being pulled.  I went to flip one over and just broke apart. 

All briskets were pulled out of the BDS and oven around the 205 mark.  Wanted to make sure it was done.  Meat probe went in like butter.   Made an Au jous for the brisket from the trimmings. 

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the final product being pulled but many compliments from the people. 

Thanks to everyone that helped me and especially to Habanero Smoke for the many answers to my questions throughout the process.   

Allen

dave01

KyNola

The brisket looks delicious.

The reason you had pulled brisket rather than sliced is because you took them to 205 before removing from the oven.

Thumpinbass

Yeah, that's what I figured.   Last time I did a small brisket, took it to 192 and took it out and it was tough.   Thinking it wasn't in long enough.   This time around left it in too long for sliced but in the end, I'm kinda glad it ended up pulled. 

Thanks. 

Allen

Habanero Smoker

Your briskets look very moist, and pulled brisket is good; especially when you have an au jus sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712