Cold smoke meat and freeze for later use??

Started by Kevhub, March 02, 2015, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevhub

I want to cold smoke some meat then seal-a-meal and freeze for later cooking. 

Thinking about -
Tri-tip
Baby back ribs
Pork chops
NY Steak

I am headed to my house in the mountains this weekend and the early morning\early eve temps should be 33-38 degrees F for two to three hours of smoke.  I have a Bradley cold smoke adapter but never used it before, any advise?

Anter

It's not a good idea to freeze it, it'll lose it's taste

KyNola

Quote from: Anter on March 02, 2015, 07:25:45 PM
It's not a good idea to freeze it, it'll lose it's taste
I respectfully disagree.  I have cold smoked pork chops and then vac sealed and froze several times.  The smoke flavor was still there when I cooked them at a later date.

If you are going to cold smoke the meat as you described I would suggest going directly from your refrigerator to the smoker and when finished smoking, vac seal and into the freezer as soon as possible.

ragweed

Can't speak to the tri tip or ribs, but I do chops and NY's a lot.  I wrap in plastic then in a zip lock.  Frig for a day or two or freeze.  IMHO, no loss of smoke flavor.

iceman

I do rib eyes all the time. Great taste after a cold smoke / vac seal / then freeze.
I follow KyNolas rule  ;)

Kevhub

Thanks all.  I'll give it a go this weekend.

tskeeter

KyNola, Ice, when you guys cold smoke steaks or thick cut pork chops, how long do you apply smoke for?

I've got family members that have spent a couple of years living in Germany, and one of the things my aunt likes are the smoked pork shops she could get in Germany.  For me, a smoked steak sounds delicious, too.

KyNola

I won't pretend to speak for the other guys but I usually go around a couple of hours.

iceman

Quote from: KyNola on March 05, 2015, 07:14:22 AM
I won't pretend to speak for the other guys but I usually go around a couple of hours.

Yep  ;D Perfect!  ;)
I do thick chops (1 1/2") and steaks.
Good eats.

Kevhub

Do you guys brine the pork chops before cold smoking?  if so would freezing post brine/smoke effect anything?

KyNola

If I were going to cold smoke and then freeze pork chops I would not brine them beforehand.  The added moisture in the chop from the brine could cause ice crystals to form within the chop.

renoman

A couple of hours at what temp?

KyNola

Quote from: renoman on March 20, 2015, 03:08:38 PM
A couple of hours at what temp?
50-70F degrees.

NorthShoreMN

I cure and hot smoke pork loins for German style smoked pork chops. If just smoking a couple of chops for later grilling I follow KyNolas lead.
The following link should take you to my post on the German style.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33749

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

sage03

I've done the cold smoke pork chops at least 5 times...as said before, 50-70 degrees, love apple but used maple /oak.All taste great! 2 hrs. some times a little more...depending on degree of smoke taste u want. Once they're done...vac-pac or freezer. I try to wait a week or so but have used them in as little as 2 days. Either way you can't go wrong.