How much Jalapeño for a mild blend?

Started by AkBillyBow, March 05, 2015, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AkBillyBow

Good day,

I am trying my hand at making wieners for the first time today.  I am going to make some normal, then some with Jalapeños and Cheddar Cheese.  My question is, what is the rule of thumb for adding Jalapeños to the mix to make it mild (wimpy really)?  I like the taste of added Jalapeños, but really cannot handle too much heat.  I will admit right here and now, I am wimp when it comes to heat!!

Any suggestions for me?  I did a search and found most people just state that they added Jalapeños, but don't state the amount.  One post I found said they added 1#Jalapeños to 12# of sausage.  Would that be considered hot, medium, or mild?

Also, I will be using the jarred, (pickled i guess because it has added vinegar) variety of Jalapenos.....but again, want it not very hot.  I know that the heat can vary quite a bit from pepper to pepper and jar to jar, but I am just looking for some opinions on a starting point.

Thanks for the help!!!

AkBillyBow

Habanero Smoker

I use 3/4 cup (about 4oz.) of finely diced jalapenos, seed and veins remove, for five pounds of sausage. That is about 6 - 7 medium size jalapenos. I find that the heat is mild, but as you mentioned; a lot depends on the peppers.

If you are using pickled jalapenos, the vinegar may change the flavor of your sausage. I often find that pickled jalapenos are generally hotter than if you add fresh ones to the sausage. Those peppers are pickles with the seed and veins.

Cheddar & Jalapeno Smoked Sausage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

AkBillyBow

Thanks for the reply Habanero Smoker!!  Anyone else have any input??  Hoping to hear from a few people before I start.

AkBillyBow

cobra6223

the only other input I could give you is this... Listen to Habs very closely as I consider him one the best pros here and if he gave you advice about not having real spicy product I would followit to the letter. You can't go wrong.

bundy

I use 1/2 cup per 10 # of dehydrated jalapeno's