Hot Dog Casings

Started by rcger, March 05, 2015, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with LEM's 26mm Plastic Hot Dog casings?  I'm wondering if you tied off the individual links or twisted them?  Also, how did you remove the casings afterwards?  Thanks in advance.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Salmonsmoker

Not sure you can twist the plastic casings. I tied mine with butcher's string. After smoking, water bath and cool down the "dogs" slip right out of the casings.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

pikeman_95

I think every one interested in making Hot dogs should look at this link. Pay special attention the spices and other things that are added. Then watch the stuffing process. You see that they are linked but I believe the machine spins the complete casing as it is stuffed so that they can't untwist. I don't think they will stay twisted like natural casings. You might have to tie then. Then take a look at how they acquire their smoke flavor and then how the cure the dog. They go through a smoke water shower and then into a steam chamber. I just think it is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzUm7UEEIY

Salmonsmoker

Thanks for the post Kirby. I'd seen that years ago. Interesting to watch. My hot dog making process is a tad slower. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

bundy

cobra6223

I think we should all have a system like that in our sausage making arsenal !!! ;D