jerky to lean

Started by cobra6223, March 07, 2015, 03:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

have some venison jerky that just crumbles coming out of the gun at this point wouldn't want to add pork or fat. Was wondering if anyone ever tried to use nonfat powdered milk for a binder ? Thoughts and suggestions always appreciated. Thanks Tim

dave01

dried milk is a good binder and I use it all the time but if you don't have at least 12% fat it won't get sticky enough. depending on your recipe, 3 Tbsp of honey will also help

cobra6223

TYVM !! btw I used ragweeds recipe.

ragweed

Tim, I always had trouble when I first started using the Smoking Gun Marinade.  The meat was too wet to shoot out of the jerky blaster.  I had to be very careful to create sticks that didn't fall apart.  I had better results when I reduced the amount of marinade I used from what their recipe called for.  And even better results when I started stuffing into casings.  Hope this helps.  I think you've got my phone number if you'd like to discuss further.   Joe

cobra6223

A huge THANKS to dave for his advice and to Joe for the jerky recipe. The honey worked great and tasted awsome with the spicyness of Joes recipe.. Thanks again you 2. Tim