Farmed Duck Breasts.

Started by Divey, April 07, 2015, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divey

I want to smoke some Farmed Duck Breast, however, I'm not having much luck in searching here for what I want.

I have hot smoked brined Chickens in the past with a great deal of success and have noticed that the skin goes very leathery and is rather inedible. I don't want to do that with Duck Breasts.

What I'm thinking of doing is giving them a very light brining and then placing the breast skin side down on an aluminium tray to prevent the smoke from getting to the skin and then cold smoking and the finishing off in a fry pan to then render out the fat a crispen the skin.

Any thoughts on this idea.

TedEbear

Here's a link to Double Smoked Duck Breast on the user recipe site, if that helps.

Divey

Quote from: TedEbear on April 08, 2015, 04:26:48 AM
Here's a link to Double Smoked Duck Breast on the user recipe site, if that helps.

Fantastic. Thanks for that TedEbear, I'll copy that to a T and see how it works out.

manxman

A few years on and I still do this recipe maybe 3 or 4 times a year :)

Only thing I do differently is follow the comment that someone posted at the end and cook to around 145F internal temp.

Used it with both wild and farmed duck, got 8 farmed duck breasts in the fridge at the moment which I am doing this weekend.

Wild duck breasts tend to be a fair bit smaller and need significantly less brining time.

Good luck Divey :)
Manxman

Divey

When you say, "This recipe", you are talking Double Smoked Duck Breast" that TedEBear mentioned ??

manxman

Manxman