First Canadian Bacon trial...

Started by Spliner, March 09, 2015, 06:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spliner

Sounds like a plan.  Yup still talking about canadian bacon.  I did not make much of it this first time for a trial, and by the time I bring some to my daughters to try, and a bit to a couple guys at work to try, my guess is it won't last long enough to freeze this time around.  I think it'll net about 3 lbs. once it's sliced.  But, yea if it works out I'm going to do a 10lb-ish packer next, and will probably put it in half pound vacuum sealed bags.  If, for some reason I make a mistake and this doesn't turn out good, then I'll try again with a couple of smaller pieces and be more careful with measurements. 

Then.. it's bacon time.  I want to learn to make it badly.  So when I bought my pucks for the canadian bacon I bought the 120 pk of maple along with my normal 120 pk of apple and hickory this year.  ;)  Can't wait.  Weather right now is teasing me at 60-70F but as long as it's above 60 I'm good.  ;P

Spliner

Habanero Smoker

If you want a treat, slice the bacon a little thicker, dredge them in flour, then dip in egg wash, then dredge in finely ground cornmeal. You can add extra seasonings to the flour, just don't add any salt. Let them rest for about 5 minutes, then pan fry in some oil, until a light golden brown. It's nice treat to have during breakfast, but I have often cooked these for lunch or dinner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Spliner

You are going to make me start drooling.  Can't do it though, on a diet lol!  Doc says if I don't lose some weight soon she's going to get pissed at me.  It's not the BBQ addiction's fault, that's mostly protein, it's the quitting smoking (I quit smoking cigarettes but started smoking meat.. fair trade right?) that did it to me 5 years ago lol.

But, a slice of Canadian bacon on my breakfast muffin with an egg is about 150 calories lighter than the usual sausage I put on the thing so that's what I'm aiming for.  Less calories more protein with all or more of the flavor! 

But that does sound good.. man I bet that's a great sandwich!  Maybe with some whole wheat flour.. and some healthy oil.. corn mean can't be all that bad... hmmmm (...starts scheming). 

Spliner

Habanero Smoker

That is not a good recipe for one on a diet. I haven't made a sandwich with it, though that sounds good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Spliner

You're probably right but I gotta have some fun right? ;)

Spliner

manfromplaid

read this post this morning, checked the beer fridge and sitting there was little pack of my last bacon. just had to have a BLT   good thing the next batch is ready to slice up   can't go long without bacon  may have to start my next Canadian bacon project soon. not today, got 6 lbs of wings in the smoker now for a thing my number 3 daughter is having tonight. so much to smoke so little time  :-\

Spliner

I love doing wings in the Bradley.  I finish them in the oven to crisp them after they absorb smoke then I sauce the crap out of them and broil a couple of minutes.  They disappear so fast it isn't even funny.  I cram the Bradley full for most family BBQ's and it still isn't enough lol.

Spliner

manfromplaid

your going to love doing bacon to. beats store bought hands down  I to love the Bradley smoker. I did the element upgrade (added another 500) and with 6 lbs of cold wings back up to 220 in only 1/2 hour  12 Celsius here (53 us)  no problem at these temps.

Spliner

Finally got them smoked today.  Smoked with maple to an IT of 145.  Looks and smells great.  Snapped this pic before I wrapped them and will now wait a couple of days before slicing.  Can't wait!

New smoke generator crapped out on first use so had to manually feed pucks but got it done.  Bought the new generator from yardandpool.com in the fall and had never tested it.  Doh!

Spliner

Spliner

The canadian bacon turned out great!  A little small.. there was quite a bit of shrinkage.  I can see why everyone uses the large packers to do this recipe.  That will be what I do next time.  As I was slicing (sorry no pics had company and grand kids running around while slicing) my kids all kept stealing pieces and as I was vacuum sealing half pound bags for the freezer the kids all made off with one package each (3 kids) so I managed to put a couple in the freezer and have one this week for my breakfast sandwiches.  Eating a couple slices now on an english muffin, egg, cheese, and canadian bacon.  Tastes is better than any CB I have ever tried.

Bacon was a little dry, so it may be best (as the recipe states) to pull them at 140F.  I took them to 145 this time before pulling them and letting them rest under a tent of aluminum foil.  Dry or not, it's good stuff no doubt!

I may try the wet cure next time around with Bradley Maple Cure.  ;)

Thanks for all the tips and help, as usual you guys are a ton of help!

Spliner

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to hear it turned out alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.