Newbie Question for sure

Started by spook22, March 01, 2015, 07:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spook22

Hello from Quebec folks, the smokers still in the box and i figured that before I mess something up the smartest thing I could do is join the forum so I can learn and benefit from the everyone's experience. I read the preparation part for a brand new smoker yesterday. The ones that are in the instruction manuals. From your experience is this THE way of doing it or are there other recommendations you would suggest. Looking forward to using the new smoker.
cheers.

TedEbear

Welcome aboard.  You should season it according to the manual.

A few other things are to be sure and keep the vent open.  It is tempting when smoking in cold weather to close the vent but that will cause black rain and actually lower the temp plus do other unwanted things.  If it is cold and you're having trouble getting it to the setpoint you can wrap a couple of bricks and preheat them in your oven and stick them in the Bradley.  Also, if you use hot water in the bowl it'll help with heat.  Keep it out of the wind because wind sucks the heat right out of the vent.  Also, do not use an extension cord.  I think it mentions that in the manual.

Here are a few links to get you started:

Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes

Frogmats Non-Stick High Temperature Smoker / Jerky Screen 10" x 13"

Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET733

Bradley Smoker Bisquette Saver

Bradley Smoker FAQs

There are more but try those out before getting into things like enclosures for storing your Bradley outdoors, mods to your smoker, etc.  I'm sure someone will be along to help you with those if you're interested.

Any plans for your first smoke?  Pork butts are easy and forgiving, although they can take a long time to cook.  Take some before/after pics of your efforts and post them if you're so inclined.  People around here like to see pics.

Adding pictures to posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum

seb bot

Welcome from BC!

TedEBear has you pointed in the right direction, make sure to check the link to the recipe site once your smoker has been seasoned.

Hope you have a good first smoke! :)

dave01

welcome to the forum, happy smoking

beefmann

welcome aboard. pretty much follow what is in the  manual for seasoning the  box, when it comes down to  smoking in a  bradley the main rules are

1) keep the  top  vent open
2) keep water in the  bowl
3) keep the top  vent  open
4) keep water in the  bowl
5) use the unit outside or  have the unit vented to the  outdoors

enjoy

spook22

Wow..thanks for the great advice..I think I'll keep the vent open and water in the bowl !! I'll let you know how things turn out. Still pretty cold here, I could always use it in the garage with the doors open. Being in the ventilation business I'm going to rig a vent hood in the garage with an in-line blower going to outside. As if I needed ANOTHER project.

thanks folks !

manfromplaid

watch how much air the blower pulls. if there is to much draft it will just pull the heat out. if you can try to let it rise as natural as possible.

Salmonsmoker

Spook, if you're going to install an in-line fan in the vent pipe you'll need an open connection between the smoker and exhaust pipe like a gas fired water heater uses. Otherwise the fan will suck all of the smoke and heat out of the cabinet. My exhaust uses only convection and works fine. FWIW.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.