wood chip methods?

Started by pd2718, March 20, 2015, 10:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pd2718

Does anyone have a method for using wood chips instead of the pucks in the smoker?. I have some wood flavors not available from Bradley and I would like to try them out.

Habanero Smoker

The below link outlines one method that I use. Though any cold smoke setup will work, as long as your hot plate will fit inside.
Can I use other flavors of wood, other than the bisquettes Bradley offers?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bubby-Joe

Redneck fix

Having used mine for an 8 hour total smoking time so very new at this here goes, to manually load a smoke can find a tin can that will fit flat on the burner plate full contact cut your can and roll the top edge to save your fingers in the future fill with any brand of chips in the can and switch on the smoke generator heater for smoke enjoy longer smoke.  Doing the same and manually loading pucks instead of auto loading for full burn had me use 3 pucks for 1.5 hours of smoke on my first load of ribs yesterday and they were great could have used a little more salt but thats fixable at the table.  Well pleased with my used 12 rack digital 

Best tin for using loose chip wood I've found so far is a 4.25X2.5X1 inch tall sardine can well cleaned and burned in sitting on the smoke generator heater flatten the bottom for better contact takes a few minutes longer to start but will burn aprox. 1 to 1.5 hour with little wood chip waste, could also use fruit tree branch cutoffs for flavour.
Bradley 6 rack with extras
1 1/2 Bradley 2 racks with problems electronics good
2 little chief's
Old bear chewed cold smoker box homemade

Jim O

Me thinks the A-MAZ-N tube or tray may work.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Divey

Quote from: Bubby-Joe on April 19, 2015, 08:21:05 AM
Redneck fix

Having used mine for an 8 hour total smoking time so very new at this here goes, to manually load a smoke can find a tin can that will fit flat on the burner plate full contact cut your can and roll the top edge to save your fingers in the future fill with any brand of chips in the can and switch on the smoke generator heater for smoke enjoy longer smoke.  Doing the same and manually loading pucks instead of auto loading for full burn had me use 3 pucks for 1.5 hours of smoke on my first load of ribs yesterday and they were great could have used a little more salt but thats fixable at the table.  Well pleased with my used 12 rack digital 

Best tin for using loose chip wood I've found so far is a 4.25X2.5X1 inch tall sardine can well cleaned and burned in sitting on the smoke generator heater flatten the bottom for better contact takes a few minutes longer to start but will burn aprox. 1 to 1.5 hour with little wood chip waste, could also use fruit tree branch cutoffs for flavour.

I like that idea, brilliant,  what a genius.  :) :) I'll make a can so I can use some fine Beech chips that I have as Bradley don't have any Beech.