Bradley Smoker pushes out too many pucks sporadically!

Started by jebjr, March 23, 2015, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jebjr

Model: BTIS1
Ser. #1004007100010036
Here's what it does - It can push out 1 puck every 20 minutes 1 time or 2 or 3 or 4 times, then it will push out 2 pucks, maybe 3. It is very, very sporadic and is driving me crazy!!
A couple of years ago it started doing this and I readjusted the motor against the micro-switch. Worked well for about 3 smokings but started doing it all over again.

I have partially taken it apart, plugged it in and watched very carefully the action of the micro-switch, linkage, motor, etc. Nothing is binding, the micro-switch doesnt have to be pushed in too far, and yes, I checked it with an ohmn meter. Everytime the linkage presses onto the micro-switch it does activate it as I can hear it and also checked with an ohmn meter. One thing that I did notice is that the shaft going into the motor does have a very small amount of play. But as I tested it manually then with the timer it always seems to still push the Micro-switch all the way like it should.

What I dont understand is when I watch it while operating it manually (the red button) sometimes the motor might turn 1 way, but usually turns the other way. I really wish I could find info regarding complete info as far as is it supposed to turn only 1 way? Or sometimes can turn the other way? Exactly how does the Micro-switch work in relationship to the timer??

Thanks,
John...

This has been very, very aggravating as I cannot depend on this unit whatsoever! I end up sending my phoned timer for every 10 minutes and go outside and add a puc. This also means that I am not able to do my 15 to 18 hour briskets as I have done in the past. I cannot trust the puc output whatsoever!

Someone..... please help me as I love my Bradley Smoker as I've done it the old fashion way for years using a couple of older smokers and the Bradley Smoker has really helped me a lot! My family and relatives love it!!

Habanero Smoker

I use to think it matters which way the motor turns, but in most cases it doesn't. It can travel clockwise or counter clockwise. If the motor come against resistance, or power interruption it will change direction. Recently I've learned that the only time the rotation seems to matter is if one rail guide is out of alignment, but this will cause the generator not feed bisquettes at all.

As far as I understand it, the micro switch is basically an on/off switch that turns off the motor. After the motor is activated and makes one full rotation, when the arm comes back into contact with the switch, it shuts down the motor. Have you checked the wiring to the micro switch to make sure it is connected securely? I've also learned that once every thing heats up (or extremely cold, in cold weather), parts expand/contract and/or become sticky, and they don't perform the way they do when you take the generator apart and check everything at room temperature. If the wiring is secure, then your micro switch may need to be cleaned. It can be cleaned using some electric contact cleaner and Q-Tips. That may help. Or the micro switch could be failing, and need to be replaced.

The play in the motor does concern me. Once everything begins to heat up during a cook, that play in the motor may be enough to prevent the arm from engaging the micro switch.

I hope some of these ideas help, but it seems you've already done some extensive troubleshooting, and it may be time to replace the either the micro switch, or possibly the motor, or both.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jebjr

I have e-mailed the service department and they tell me to order a new motor and micro-switch. I have done that but sure sounds like 'parts-changers' to me. Hopefully I'll figure out the 'REAL' problem once the new parts arrive and yes... I will replace 1 at a time and test.

Habanero Smoker

Replacement of the micro switch is very easy. There are two screws and I believe two wire connections.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)