Wild Hog

Started by Grouperman941, May 31, 2014, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I have a couple of whole shoulders from a mid-sized wild boar. I also have the ribs.

I am looking for tips on what to do with it all.

Should I separate the butts? They looks like about 3 lbs each. The picnic would be like a giant turkey leg. :-)

Anything different in cooking the ribs (vs domestic pork)?

Any and all tips appreciated -- even if I didn't ask the right questions.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Wildcat

Never prepared any wild pig. Just like with most wild game though, it is probably a lot more lean than the domestic animals and can be a little tough.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Saber 4

I've done the ribs in the smoker and on the grill same as I do domestic and they have always turned out good, I haven't tried to do a PP with a wild butt yet due to lack of hog's in the area this year but I like to season them up and brown them in a dutch oven and then braise them in red wine with veggies and they always turn out perfect. I have also ground them up and made some good crock pot chili with it but it takes a couple of long days of cooking to get it super tender.

Grouperman941

Thanks guys. This is all in the freezer -- I'll be cooking in a couple of weeks. Still looking for tips and info.

Tenpoint5

If you smoke them for pulled pork start checking early I went to the 195 mark and it was way over done the one time I tried it. it was dry good but dry
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Pachanga

The hogs have hit Texas pretty hard.  The meat can be a little dry.  I inject with my usual plus a stick of melted butter (I have also used bacon grease and experimented with a few other oils like garlic infused canola), dry rub and then a mustard slather.  Keep the water pan full with boiling water.  Prepare to mop when checking the water or anytime the door is open.

Smoke low, low, low and slow; 200 to 205 is my go to on this meat.  Don't give the meat a chance to steam.  To reiterate Tenpoint's wise comments; check it early.  It may be ready to give it up at 180 degrees.  The usual 195 probably means a dry product.  When the meat is barley fork tender; Foil, Towel, Cooler to give this a final chance to finish throughout.

Good luck and slow smoking,
Pachanga

Grouperman941

While trying to organize my big freezer, I unearthed these ribs. They are defrosting now, so I will cook them tomorrow or Tuesday. I am planning to do them like normal ribs, as Saber suggested above. Any other tips or ideas?