Author Topic: Counter-top Smoker - mixed review  (Read 1498 times)

Offline henrykane

Counter-top Smoker - mixed review
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:43 am »
Counter-top smoker – mixed review

I bought it and use it twice so far. It is excellent for what it is: miniature hot smoker. Do not expect to process more than few pounds at a time, but in single session it can easily process all the smoked cold cuts, fish or even sausages family of four can (should? – considering health) consume in 10 – 14 days. As this is typical shelf life of properly processed product in the fridge – why use bigger smoker?

Very easy to operate. Yes, some smoke leaks out to the house, especially when exhaust hose is just out of the window to cold winter weather (back draft) – anybody not expecting that from indoor smoker is delusional. Place it close to, or under your kitchen hood (on top of the range), hang the exhaust hose end close to hood fan intake, not sealed to the hood, just to create little negative pressure and less “flavor” escapes the operation than from operating regular kitchen oven.

That’s been the happy part.

Unfortunately 3 hours into second time I was using it, the convection fan blade stopped turning (motor was still whirling). I was not in the kitchen at that moment, came no more than 15 minutes later. By that time airflow through the smoke generator reversed igniting next 2 pucks waiting inside the loading mechanism and tube magazine. Plastic collar partially melted and was smoldering. Few minutes more and all that could have burst to flames, fortunately under the all-metal hood. Meat was smoked enough to be finished in the toaster oven – still came out delicious.

I looked again what’s on the market and came out with the conclusion that this smoker is best for my needs. Hoping that it was just isolated manufacturing defect I exchanged it for a new one, but I will watch it as a loaded weapon. If that fault happens again, that product should be recalled and redesigned.

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
Re: Counter-top Smoker - mixed review
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
Welcome aboard, Henry.  Yours is the first I've heard of a problem with the convection fan, so I would assume it is an isolated incident.  The most common feedback I hear is that they should not have called it a counter-top smoker, since it was probably not meant to be used indoors on a kitchen counter-top as far as smoke escaping.

Anyway, check out the Bradley user recipe site sometime if you're so inclined:  Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes