Smoking Vegetables

Started by jebjr, March 28, 2015, 05:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jebjr

I will be smoking a chicken and some wild duck breasts tomorrow after brining overnight. I figured I will also smoke some vegetables as I recently saw some done on the Food Network Channel from a DDD episode.

Here's my question: Anyone here have experience with this with vegis? Any tips? Should I coat the vegetables lightly with oil? I am gonna cut up the sweet onions, red and yellow peppers and zuchinni all in halves, place in an aluminum pan and possibly add a slight amount of seasoning. I am not drying them out as I plan in grinding and making a smoked sauce after being smoked but I'm not sure if I should have some oil/moisture on the vegis while smoking.  ??

I plan on doing the chicken on the lower rack as I have done before for about 5 hours, then when there's 3 hours left add the wild duck breasts to the next upper rack then above that add the vegis I will have in the tray as I saw on TV.

Thanks, John...

tskeeter

Jebjr, how did your veggies come out?  I've never smoked veggies, but it sounds like an interesting idea.  Did you coat your veggies with cooking oil, as you were thinking?

jebjr

They came out pretty good but I think needed a little more smoke time.I'm thinking about 3 to 4 hours at just over 200 degrees depending on what else your smoking. All the way on the top rack, no oil but just a little bit of dry salad seasoning.
Tomatoes that I cut in half came out a little mushie but I expected that and blended/ground them to a sauce along with the other vegis. Just added a little bit of chicken broth for moisture and strained into a bowl. Pretty yummy!!

I also used sweet onions, just peeled them and cut them in half - used a package of small yellow & red peppers and cut them in half and removed the seeds - also used 1 zuchini cut in half length wise.

Turned out that before I blended and strained to make a sauce the vegis were pretty darn tasty just snacking on them whole! I actually saved some for the main meal!

John...

scubadoo97

For the most part I'm not a fan of smoked vegetables.  One dish did work out real well for me though. I smoked corn and then used it to make a blended corn soup. That came out really well

jebjr

Seems like the hardiest/harder vegis work the best so far such as the 3 colors of peppers, zuchini & sweet onion. The small yellow and red peppers that I cut in half lengthwise and removed the insides, I also left some of the same peppers whole, cut a whole zuchinni in half length-wise and a couple of peeled cut in half sweet onions came out delicious just by themselves as a side slightly smoked/cooked!

I love eggplant but I bet it will be like smoked tomatoes (mushy). But... as long as it's smoked I don't care. I like mushy whole smoked tomatoes and eggplant.

I think that Smoked mushy tomatoes and eggplant might be real good ground up in a blender and possibly turned into a smoked vegi sauce? Maybe?? Have to play around with it to find out... may have to add a little chicken broth and/or a little tomatoe sauce and some seasoning?

If anyone with experience with smoking vegis and playing with their 'smoked vegi food' reads this I/we would love your input.

I think that whenever I smoke some meat it's a great opportunity to add vegis and experiament!

sage03

I've done onions (vidalia, Walla Wallas) before,cut in half or even 1/4's smoked them for 3 hrs w/hickory and maple. These turned out really good. I have also done Butternut Squash. It comes from store cubed..about 1" square. Smoked them for 2-3 hrs. w/apple, take and put in a stock pot mixed with some spices and heavy cream. Take an immersion blender to them and blend down to make smoked Butternut squash soup. This turned out very hearty and quite tasty!

jebjr

I have gotta try that as I now love smoked vegi's! Thanks for the recipe!

NorthShoreMN

Smoked Mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and peppers are great on pizza also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi