second element

Started by fuzzy3955, March 29, 2015, 01:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy3955

am thinking about adding a second element to my obs have hard time getting temp above 200. how easy are tom the install and what all do i have to get

thanks fuzzy

TedEbear

Quote from: fuzzy3955 on March 29, 2015, 01:47:11 PM
am thinking about adding a second element to my obs have hard time getting temp above 200. how easy are tom the install and what all do i have to get

thanks fuzzy

If you add a second element, be sure you pay attention to the warning on the "how-to" instructions: 

This mod also assumes you will be controlling you Bradley with a PID, BBQ Guru, or similar controller. If uncontrolled, the modified Bradley will be capable of attaining temperatures higher than it was designed for.

I added a second element to mine.  For the wiring, all I did was loop a couple of 3-4" pieces of high temp wire from each end of the original element to each end of the second element.  It has worked fine that way for 3+ years.

Habanero Smoker

Below are the instructions for the OBS. The below instructions rely heavily on Mr. Walleye's instructions on the modification of the DBS, but the below instructions also include how to by pass the temperature control switch on the OBS, and/or how to add an on/off switch for the second element.

Additional Heating Element for the  OBS

As noted the in the instructions the On/Off switch is optional. I installed one, and still find it often comes in handy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dave01

some of us found it just as easy to install one 900 watt element