Grouperman's First Brisket

Started by Grouperman941, March 30, 2015, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

This guy was about 15 pounds. I didn't trim -- just right from the Cryo-vac to a rack and seasoned. I like to do this the first time I try something just to see how the fat behaves. I used my 'secret seasoning' that I put on everything, which is basically S, P, garlic, and parsley. Then covered with CYM. I followed Pachanga's method as best as I could.

The Bradley got back up to 225 surprisingly quickly once the meat went in, and my PID held it there the whole time. I used just over 3 hours of hickory, because I couldn't find the box of mesquite that I know is around here somewhere.

After an overnight, it was approaching afternoon and the IT was still below 160. I had to go to a ball game, so I moved to the inside oven at 225. When I got back, three hours later, It was just hitting 195 and I moved to FTC. Almost 24 hours total.

A couple hours later, I busted it open and started cutting.

The flavor is good. I would like more smoke. It is better without sauce. I tried a few different ones. The texture is perfect. Moist, yet beefy and not soggy or dry.

Next time, I think I will trim closer and use more and/or stronger smoke. I think I will go up to 250, though, to get a better bark. Does this sound OK?

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

watchdog56

I  have only done a couple but it sure looks good to me.

dave01

sure looks good, I don't know if I would change anything

Smoker John

Looks good, brisket is one of the main reasons I bought a Bradley
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

JohnM70

Hi Grouperman, if I read your post correctly you did not cut some of the fat cap off. Did you have a lot of grease in the water bowel/ grease/puck  catcher? I am impressed and slices well.
Great Job
John 
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

Grouperman941

Quote from: JohnM70 on April 01, 2015, 02:14:26 PM
Hi Grouperman, if I read your post correctly you did not cut some of the fat cap off. Did you have a lot of grease in the water bowel/ grease/puck  catcher? I am impressed and slices well.
Great Job
John 

Surprisingly, I had very little fat and juice in the drip pan that I had put beneath the meat. I had expected a ton of rendered fat and some juice to make a sauce.

manfromplaid

it looks very good. kinda nice when the first one turns out like that. nice job

Divey

Quote from: Grouperman941 on March 30, 2015, 09:06:43 AM
This guy was about 15 pounds. I didn't trim -- just right from the Cryo-vac to a rack and seasoned. I like to do this the first time I try something just to see how the fat behaves. I used my 'secret seasoning' that I put on everything, which is basically S, P, garlic, and parsley. Then covered with CYM. I followed Pachanga's method as best as I could.

<snip>

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is CYM, is that a Canadian term for something ?

Grouperman941

Quote from: Divey on April 02, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: Grouperman941 on March 30, 2015, 09:06:43 AM

<snip>

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is CYM, is that a Canadian term for something ?

Cheap Yellow Mustard

TedEbear

Quote from: Divey on April 02, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

Here's a list of some of the acronyms that you may see on the forum, copied from What do all these acronyms mean? on the Bradley user recipe site Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes.

ABT - Atomic Buffalo Turd; stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon.
    a.k.a. - Also known as.
    BB or BBR - Baby Back Ribs; also called Loin Ribs by our Northern Neighbors
    BBQ - Barbecue: Foods cooked low and slow, and often smoked; not to be confused with grilling
    BS - Bradley Smoker: The original Bradley Smoker. More commonly used prior to the digital models were manufactured.
    BSS - Bradley Stainless Steel Smoker: The original Bradley Stainless Steel Smoker. More commonly used prior to the digital models were manufactured.
    BTW - By The Way
    CT - Carolina Treet, brand name for a Carolina style vinegar based cooking and basting sauce that is growing in popularity on the Bradley forum board. It is especially good on chicken and pork. Also depending on the context it is used sometimes to mean Cabinet Temperature or Connecticut.
    CYM or YM - Cheap Yellow Mustard or Yellow Mustard
    DBS or BDS- Digital Bradley Smoker
    D4R - Digital 4 Rack unit
    D6R - Digital 6 rack unit
    EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    FTC - Foil Towel Cooler
        A resting / staging method of wrapping the product in Foil, then and old Towel, and place in a warmed Cooler (no ice). This keeps the product hot and allows flexibility in serving times. Most plan to get the food done early, then use FTC to hold the product until serving time. This method also acts as a passive oven, allowing the meat to cool slowly and evenly, while continuing the break down of connective tissue/collagen.
    ICB - Iron Chef Bradley. Forum food competition that is held on the Bradley Smoking Forum; from time to time. Usually just for bragging rights, but occasionally prizes are donated by various members.
    IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
    IMO - In My Opinion
    IT - Internal Temperature (of meat): The desired "doneness", measured at the thickness area of the meat using an instant read or probe meat thermometer.
    OBS or BOS - Original Bradley Smoker (non digital): More commonly used after the digital models were manufactured.
    OSS - Original Stainless Steel smoker: More commonly used after the digital models were manufactured.
    OT - Oven Temperature (temperature of the oven / tower/cabinet, not meat)
    PID -Proportional, Integral, Derivative
        An electrical temperature control devise used to provide tighter temperature regulation of the smoker - a popular add-on to OBS and DBS.
        Auber Dual & Single Probe Comparison/Guide
    PR or PRIB - Prime Rib
    SRG - the Smoker, Roaster and Grill; an Infrared Smoker, Roaster & Grill by CharBroil.
    SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed. Refers to getting permission from your significant other prior to making any decisions.
    TBE - The Big Easy; an Infrared Turkey Fryer by CharBroil