Prime Rib

Started by DaveT261, April 01, 2015, 09:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jebjr

Check out the Alton Brown video for temps and I never remove the bones as this imparts more flavor. I you let the roast rest for 30 to 45 minutes you won't lose that much juice/blood at all. I let rest, then cut off the big chunk of fat, then cut the bones off all in 1 group. AND... those bones.... are for me!!!!     ;D
Remember, aging can really make a big difference just like brining poultry!
Also, the Alton Brown video shows a great example of what kind of rib roasts to purchase (there are 3 different versions).

Here's a new one I heard from one of my favorite restaurants. As I like my beef still mooing one of the meat servers finally learned to bring me rare beef at the Texas DeBrazil! He told me...

' You like beef so rare that a vet could show-up and resuscitate the animal! '      :)

TedEbear

Quote from: ragweed on April 04, 2015, 08:12:50 AMSWMBO doesn't do med-rare.   :( :(

I'm with SWMBO.  If it's pink inside it's not finished cooking.   ;)

DaveT261

I want to thank everyone for their input, it was by far the best tasting thing I ever smoked on the Bradley.  I did do the cold smoke for 2 hrs/20 min with hickory and mesquite, it had a nice hint of smoke but not overpowered.  I checked my oven temps using my meat thermometer and my oven stays pretty constant with a 5 degree flux so at 220 it stayed between 215 to 225. 

I guess you get what you pay for, I sliced it about 3/8" thick and it was so tender you could cut it with a small fork.  I originally was just going to use salt and pepper but when I went to Cabala's to get more pucks they had a prime rib rub so I got that too.  I can't say anything else about any of their other rubs but this one is fantastic, I highly recommend anyone making a prime to try it, it even is great seasoning to use like salt and pepper when eating it.  I tried taking pictures with my smart phone but I could not figure out how to download them to my computer to put them on photo bucket.  I planned on doing a pictorial but failed. 

Again thanks for all your great wisdom.   

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to hear it turned out great. It does sound like you had Wagyu beef, or a very similar breed. I've eaten boneless Wagyu prime rib beef, and it is absolutely the best I've had. I may just check out the Cabela's Prime Rib rub.

Photobucket has an app so you can upload pictures from your smartphone directly to your Photobucket account.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

I use the Tapatalk app, you can add pics to your posts directly out of your phone's photo album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

bundy

It's running around $12 here also