Newbie first time using the smoker with Canada Goose

Started by spook22, April 01, 2015, 04:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spook22

Had some Canada Goose breast from a hunt we had in Ontario in early March for local birds. I wanted to grill the breasts on the BBQ so I read a lot of cold smoking techniques here on the forum and here's how it turned out. I had a wet marinade on one and a dry rub on the other. I found that the dry rub had a little more taste permeating through the meat. I also found this sauce that was KILLER. Thanks for everyone's help. I may not be on the right section of the forum for a post like this. If someone could guide me that would be great. Making goose jerky this weekend. Happy Easter to those that celebrate it.

https://app.box.com/s/b00dytwo8pnmqxnafjiq8n1cbz2bbcca

here's the recipe for the sauce. Use a small sweat onion and a lot less butter

Whiskey Cream sauce

1 Onion chopped
8 Tablespoons of butter
1 Cup whiskey
1 Cup beef broth
1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of salt n pepper

*Thicken with a dash of gravy flour if needed.*

TedEbear

renoman

Quote from: spook22 on April 01, 2015, 04:51:21 PM
Had some Canada Goose breast from a hunt we had in Ontario in early March for local birds. I wanted to grill the breasts on the BBQ so I read a lot of cold smoking techniques here on the forum and here's how it turned out. I had a wet marinade on one and a dry rub on the other. I found that the dry rub had a little more taste permeating through the meat. I also found this sauce that was KILLER. Thanks for everyone's help. I may not be on the right section of the forum for a post like this. If someone could guide me that would be great. Making goose jerky this weekend. Happy Easter to those that celebrate it.

https://app.box.com/s/b00dytwo8pnmqxnafjiq8n1cbz2bbcca

here's the recipe for the sauce. Use a small sweat onion and a lot less butter

Whiskey Cream sauce

1 Onion chopped
8 Tablespoons of butter
1 Cup whiskey
1 Cup beef broth
1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of salt n pepper

*Thicken with a dash of gravy flour if needed.*

They look really good. The sauce sounds good too. To thicken the sauce saute the onions in the butter til soft then add 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir for a couple of minutes until it is a thick paste then add the beef broth and whiskey. I would use bourbon though.

Smoker John

Looks great, I'm with renoman, a bourbon person myself.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Divey

Wow, coming from Australia, I'll have to Google the size of a Canada Goose, they must be ginormous. Looks very juicy and appertising. :)

renoman

Quote from: Divey on April 02, 2015, 04:27:11 PM
Wow, coming from Australia, I'll have to Google the size of a Canada Goose, they must be ginormous. Looks very juicy and appertising. :)

They bring down 747s

spook22

Divey, there were 4 breasts in there. You guys smoke Kangaroos down there ( other then smokin' em with you truck !) ?

Divey

I've never eaten Roo even though you can buy it in several different forms in our supermarkets. We are getting off topic here, but there is something I'd like to tell you seeing as the Goose was obtained as a result of a hunting expedition. I am also a hunter and quite often have Venison in the freezer.  :) Now, this is how stuffed up our hunting laws are here in Oz, as a hunter it is illegal for me to hunt and shoot kangaroo for my own consumption, and, there are more of the damn things here than there were 200 years ago. I know, I know, it's rubbish.

I'd sure give that goose a chomp though.  :) you

I did Google the Canada Goose and was surprised to see that have been introduced into New Zealand some time ago and they are now considered a pest. We have something very similar here in the Northern Territory of Oz named Magpie Geese. Maybe not quite as big as the Canadian bird but still rather large and are hunted and eaten by the locals up north. Long way from where I live. :(

bundy