Anybody Made Their Own Curing Chamber.

Started by Divey, April 03, 2015, 06:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divey

As the subject says has anyone here made their own curing chamber ?? I think I need one but not too sure on how to go about it. I would like to control temperature and also relative humidity.

Some photographs of your curing chambers would be great.  :)

mustangmoe

I think that Nepa guy made one but I am not sure what he is doing after moving into that truck he lives in. You might want to send him a message to get his thoughts on that.

manfromplaid

some have used those wine coolers that are able to control both temp and humidity

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mustangmoe on April 03, 2015, 07:11:46 PM
I think that Nepa guy made one but I am not sure what he is doing after moving into that truck he lives in. You might want to send him a message to get his thoughts on that.

I dont live in a truck, its a 40' Motorhome.

Truck

Motorhome

tailfeathers

More like a house with an engine than a truck for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

NorthShoreMN

I read the posts on this forum and the sausagemaker.com forum. I used a whirlpool self defrosting refrigerator. (neighbors were getting new one) It works fine. Drilled two 4" holes in unit one on lower left side with exhaust fan on it, and one on upper right side for fresh air with screen and cheese cloth filter on it. Johnson control for ref. Dayton controls for humidify and dehumidify.  Nothing to damage in sides of Whirlpool Ref as long as you are
Below the freezer.
I will send you the control model numbers if you send me a PM with your email address
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Divey

Quote from: NorthShoreMN on April 05, 2015, 11:25:23 AM
<snip>
I will send you the control model numbers if you send me a PM with your email address
Paul

Click on my username.  :)

jbcarney

Yes.. I have built one.  I hang my Prosciutto, Capicola, etc. in it.   I use an upright freezer (Frigidaire).  Many people have to modify theirs but I chose equipment that allowed me to not have to make any modifications and run the equipment through the seal..  For temp and humidity control, I am using a simple device designed to control reptile terrariums - there are many more expensive controllers, but this one does the job and it is under $100 US. It has two plugs and a sensor that measures temp and humidity.   My chamber stayed about 60-65% RH (which is a bit low for curing whole muscle and fermented sausages), so I just recently purchased a humidifier used to control humidity in a large cigar humidor. The device is great because it easily allows me to adjust my humidity up (needs to be 70% to 80% RH) and has a couple of small fans that circulate air in the chamber.  It is also low maintenance and can be controlled via the internet.  That particular device was more than I needed, but it satisfied the geek in me.

I have pics.. but I can't figure out how to post the darn thing..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxG_84nQ1cFVXzhFOUdRekRFZkk/view?usp=sharing

TedEbear

Quote from: jbcarney on April 06, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
I have pics.. but I can't figure out how to post the darn thing..

1. Upload them to free host site Photobucket
2. Click on the IMG box to the right of the pic
3. The contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard
4. Paste those contents into a message on here

NorthShoreMN

Divey
Using the refrigerator with top freezer allows me to keep usable freezer while using ref section forChamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Gafala

This is what I did, PID'S in there own cabnet, a soda refer, when not in use as a cure cabnet I can still use it as a soda refer.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.