BDS6 fluctuates - normal?

Started by Rhobo55, April 04, 2015, 05:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhobo55

Hi, all.  I'm extremely new at this and don't know if it's normal for my digital 6 rack to fluctuate as badly as it does.  I was trying to keep the temp at 200 and I kept a log of it at different temps.  At 190 the temp ranged anywhere from 171-219; at 200 it went from 180-226 and at 210 it went from 210-235.  It would hit the high and then back down to low and then back up to high again.  Is this normal?  It was 50 here with winds from 10-17MPH.  I have it on my front porch out of the weather.

TedEbear

Yes, it is normal for the chamber temp to fluctuate somewhat.  The temp variance is not all that important for most things we smoke in the Bradley.  They say a regular house oven has similar up/down temps but we don't notice it because we usually don't monitor the temp as closely.

If you need or want more precise temp control you can add a PID controller.  That'll keep the temp to within a couple of degrees of the setpoint.  Two of the most popular ones around here are the Auber single probe plug 'n play or the Auber dual probe plug 'n play.  Those run around $140-$190. 

There's also the Auber stand-alone single probe, which you would install in either a project box or the smoke generator.  Those run around $46.  With everything to make it all work, the total cost is $80-$90.  That's the one I have in my Bradley original smoker.  Installlation and setup instructions are available at the links below if you're interested.

Auber Plug & Play PIDs - Single/Dual Probes

Auber PID Step Programming

PID Controller

Rhobo55

Thanks, Ted.  I knew it would fluctuate from reading different posts on here.  I was just surprised it fluctuated as much as it did and was concerned about the cooking process. That answers my question.  I had mentioned the PID to my hubby and told him I thought it ran about $200....he wasn't such a big fan  ::)  But I think I'll keep trying it w/o the PID for a while and maybe once he retires and we get into it a little more heavily will then purchase a PID.
Thanks again!!!

Salmonsmoker

Robo55, the Auber single probe PID (WS-1210GPH) is $144 and the dual probe(WS-1200GPH)is $188. I've had the original single probe for 8 yrs. and only just this week replaced the temperature probe. I'ts been a great investment. I can program multiple times and temperatures and pretty much walk away and let the PID control the whole smoke.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.