Smoked Almonds.

Started by Divey, April 06, 2015, 07:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divey

I searched through and found as many smoked almond recipes I could find. Many of them had cayenne, chili and other spices but I just wanted smoked almonds as you buy them.

I have noticed that the commercial bought smoked almonds have very fine salt on them so I ground table salt in the mortar and pestle until I was happy with the texture. I had about 900 grams of almonds and I used one tablespoon of safflower oil and coated the almonds with that so the ground salt would stick to them. I smoked them for 2 hours with apple flavoured bisquettes, however, I was of the opinion that there was not enough smokiness so I did them again for another two hours using mesquite.

They are very good now, and, I'm rather happy with the flavour and appearance.

tskeeter

Divey, I'm salivating.  Those almonds look really good!

piratey

I was smoking canadian bacon this last weekend and had some space in the smoker, so I looked up smoked almond recipes.  I saw one that had me soak my almonds in water for 10 minutes, apply regular table salt and then 30 minutes of smoke.  I was using oak pellets.  Soaking the almonds helped the salt to stick and it ended up working pretty well.  I did think the smokiness was lacking a bit, so I'll increase the smoke time next time.  All in all, I liked it.  Only took me two days to finish the almonds, they were pretty addictive.

Divey

It is amazing that the almonds don't really like to take on the smoked flavour as you would expect. Considering that I gave them a total of 4 hours just does not sound right. However, that extra time with the oven set at 105°C  has made the almonds really nice and crunchy.

A couple of friends demolished a fair few last night with a few home made lagers.

scubadoo97

I find they do take on considerable smoke flavor but it blooms as they rest a day or two

I've done them wet and dry. Most often I brine them in a mixture of bourbon, salt and a little brown sugar then smoke. I use perforated pans which helps the smoke get in and around the nuts

Gafala

I use cheese cloth double fold, smoke for 2 hours and then let them bloom for a week. I due 20lbs of almonds when I do them.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Divey

I used the metal fly-screen material you can buy from the Hardware store and put that inside the normal BS trays.

piratey

I used Q-Mats.  I only did a single tray's worth for my first try, but I plan to do more this weekend.  Anyone have a good recipe for sweet almonds, pecans or walnuts?  I liked the salty version, but I kind of want to try a sweet one too.

Jim O

I do the same as Gafala,but put in the over at 225 for about 15-20 minutes to give them some crunch. Mine also take on a stronger smoke flavour after 1-2 weeks rest.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Divey

tailfeathers

Q mats are similar to frogmats, they are available from the A-maze-n website. They sell them by the foot in different widths. I bought some and cut them about one inch bigger than a Bradley rack.  Cut a 45 degree slit in each corner then zip tied them to make baskets for smoking nuts, snack mix etc. they work great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Piratey I've got a good recipe for honey smoked almonds but I'm at work right now. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piratey

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 10, 2015, 07:08:02 AM
Piratey I've got a good recipe for honey smoked almonds but I'm at work right now. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

Awesome!  I'd like to smoke some this weekend.  My salted ones from last weekend only lasted two days.

piratey

I saw tailfeather's qmats in some other thread and used those as my inspiration.  Did the same thing, except I didn't zip-tie the corners to the actual rack, since I wanted to be able to remove it when doing other products.  It worked great for smoking cheese and almonds.

tailfeathers

For sweet smoked almonds try this one. 3# almonds 6 oz honey 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup maple syrup 1/2 cup melted butter 1 tsp sea salt 2 tsp cinnamon 3/4 tsp nutmeg. Combine all, stir into almonds and refrigerate 6 hrs, stir every hour or so. Spray frog mats with pam and spread almonds in a single layer. Smoke at 200 until dry, rotate racks periodically.