Hi Temp Wire...

Started by Rider14, April 14, 2015, 02:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rider14

So when I upgraded the heating element to the 900W, I had to replace the wiring on one side due to length. I used automobile high temperature wire, safe to 257F.  It failed on me once, and I had to replace it (which I did, with the same wire).

I ordered some new much higher temp (400C) wire, enough for one side, but what temperature does the wire really need to handle?

I assume it's much more than 257F, as the heating element gets pretty damn hot while getting the smoker up to temp. Meaning, even if the smoker temp is only 225F or so, the heating element itself is likely up to something like 400F while it is heating the air, right?

I guess what I'm asking is that is the high temp wire safe to temps of 257F ok to leave in there? Or is it destined to fail, and I might as well replace it at the first opportunity once the higher temp wire arrives? (Amazon).

Thanks,

-Dan

Salmonsmoker

Dan, I did the 900W upgrade several years ago and never changed the original wires, which are already high temp. wires. Don't know what the *F rating on the original wires are, but they haven't failed yet. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Mr Walleye

The wire I used was rated at 450C. I got it from Omega.ca or you can also get it from Omega.com depending where you live. I think it was about $1 per foot. I'm sure you could also get it in other store.

It's not so much the temperature of the chamber, it's more the surface temperature of the element and the surrounding area. I'm not sure of the actual surface temperature but I suspect it's pretty high.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tskeeter

When I did my dual element mod I got some high temp appliance wire at an appliance parts and repair store.  I think what I ended up with was 14 gauge.  Probably overkill, but it's never been a problem.

Habanero Smoker

Appliance stores in my area would not sell me wire. It is probably a liability issue. If you run into that issue, you can order online.

If you live in the states; I purchase my wire from Allied Kenco. The 14 ga. is a good size. It is enough to carry the load. It is a good place to restock your sausage, and curing supplies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rider14

Thanks everyone. I'll replace with the extremely high temp stuff when it arrives - the surface area of the element where the lug connects to the wire is likely too hot.  Made it through a rib smoke last weekend without fail, and kids said it was top 2 or 3 ribs I've made to date. (Yay dad).

When I first hooked up one side, the heat shield cut through the wire to the point I needed to replace it, shortening the wire on one side to the point it needed to be replaced... I'll finally replace it with the right stuff.

Dan

michsmoker

These are my wires after 2 smokes with the 900w upgrade! Pulled back the sheath covering the wire it said 105*C which =221*F. Replaced with 850*F oven wire.
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

pensrock

A loose connection either a bad crimp onto the wire or where the nut gets tightened onto the lug will also cause that kind of damage. However in this case I think the temperature and the low rating of the wire was the problem.