4.5 hour timer??????

Started by ZSharp, April 17, 2015, 10:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSharp

Hey, a friend of mine has the digital 4 rack smoker and I have the original 4 rack. He was telling me that both the smoke generator and oven have a 4.5 hour timer! Is there no way to disable this? I like my original for not having a timer at all because I often do 18hr smokes for pulled pork and such; would be annoying to have to get up every 4 hours and reset a timer! Even when doing small smokes like 5hrs for ribs and stuff.

Surely someone out there can tell me we're missing something or has instructions for disabling this timer!

TedEbear

I have an OBS but I believe the digital has a max time of up to 9 hours 40 minutes, not 4.5 hours.

digital smoker smoke and cook time

ZSharp

Hmm are you
Quote from: TedEbear on April 17, 2015, 05:43:52 PM
I have an OBS but I believe the digital has a max time of up to 9 hours 40 minutes, not 4.5 hours.

digital smoker smoke and cook time

Hmm...is it possible this model is different? Even so, why is there a timer at all? You should be able to smoke for as long as you want!

TedEbear

I never really understood why there's a time limit on the digital.  I know someone can bypass it if they install a PID controller but those are $140-$190, although they do more than just bypass the timer.

ZSharp

Quote from: TedEbear on April 17, 2015, 05:51:06 PM
I never really understood why there's a time limit on the digital.  I know someone can bypass it if they install a PID controller but those are $140-$190, although they do more than just bypass the timer.

So there's no way around it eh. We should ask Bradley themselves why they put a timer on the digital. Maybe safety reason? Even then, that's weird. Someone get Wade on the line!

I'm guessing this type of smoker isn't really meant for doing long smokes or big cuts of meat, I'm actually thinking of stepping up to a Yoder myself. Don't get me wrong though! I've used my Bradley every weekend for 2 yrs straight now, I love it for doing ribs and chicken and sausages, I've even done turkey, pulled pork, smoked a few porchetta's (which all were awesome!) but I'm learning more and more that the Bradley is meant for small stuff...it seems like the "learner" smoker.

It's frustrating to me, though, that my buddy's digital Bradley has such a limitation

Salmonsmoker

I'm in TedEbear's camp re: the digital time limit It's way more than 4.5 hrs.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Grouperman941

Quote from: ZSharp on April 17, 2015, 06:03:18 PM
Quote from: TedEbear on April 17, 2015, 05:51:06 PM

... Don't get me wrong though! I've used my Bradley every weekend for 2 yrs straight now, I love it for doing ribs and chicken and sausages, I've even done turkey, pulled pork, smoked a few porchetta's (which all were awesome!) but I'm learning more and more that the Bradley is meant for small stuff...it seems like the "learner" smoker...

While the Bradleys have their limits, as any machine does, I am not sure this is accurate.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

The longest it will operate without any user intervention, is 9 hour and 40 minutes as others have stated. When you check the meat, and/or change the water bowl, it is just a simple matter of resetting the time. The reset can be done at any time during the cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ZSharp

Sam66

There are only 3 timer display digits on the digital.  Since it is set in 20min intervals 9 hours 40 is the most you can display. 

I don't see any other limitations so I guess it comes down to the display Bradley had made for these.