sausage making info/questions

Started by newsmoker22, April 15, 2015, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newsmoker22

Hey guy looking for some info on sausage making, I read a ton here so i think i know most of the basics, great info thanks for sharing, my question are with using cure, I want to make some Andouille,Chorizo,Summer and Sweet Italian Sausage i would like to smoke it all for the flavor, I have read to different things one said if you smoke you have to use cure and another said you didn't so i'm not sure what i need to do, I would like to if possible not use any cure, my sausages would be hot smoked till IT temp is 155 after cold down and stuff they would be frozen anyhow.
so am i able to do my sausages that way without cure thanks for any help.
avid bow hunter, smoke everything i harvest

Habanero Smoker

The answer to your question depends on what cabinet temperature you are using to cook your sausage. When you say hot smoke, what cabinet temperatures are you talking about. Members use that term differently. Hot smoking is using cabinet temperatures between approximately 100°F to 180°F, you will often see 90° - 180°F. Many use that term for temperatures as high as 225°F. If using the lower temperatures, you must use a cure, or add additional salt to your sausage that will alter the taste of your sausage and make it too salty.

To safely smoke sausage without nitrites, the USDA suggest you use a cabinet temperature no lower thas 225°F, I use a cabinet temperature of 200°F. Having said that; the Marianskie's, who have written several books, have a great site, and generally follow USDA regulations to the letter, state you can use a cabinet temperature as low as 180°F. I would be cautious of using the 180°F cabinet temperature in the Bradley, due to its slow recovery and fluctuations of temperatures; unless you have a two element modified Bradley controlled by a third party heat controller. These  temperature are used from start to finish, and the sausage should be brought up to 160°F. You cannot use lower temperatures to dry for an hour or so, and you cannot start with a low temperature or slowly rise the temperature through the cooking time.

If you want smoke flavor added to your sausage, without using sodium nitrite, you may want to give some thought to adding liquid smoke, then poaching your sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Habs? I thought if you smoked sausage over 180 it would cause a fat out situation. Is this not correct?

Mr Walleye

I think what Habs is referring to is more when you take fresh sausage (no cure) and simply cook it in the smoker. In that case you (without cure) You don't want your sausage internal temperature hanging around too long below that 140 F mark without the protection of a cure.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Grouperman941

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 16, 2015, 05:38:16 AM
Habs? I thought if you smoked sausage over 180 it would cause a fat out situation. Is this not correct?

Which is why smoked sausage needs cure.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

A lot of people don't like how nitrites alter the taste of sausage, or may not want added nitrites a part of their diet; but like the flavor of smoke. I prefer fresh sausage (sausage with no cure). I'm don't like how nitrites alter the taste of my sausage, so I mainly make fresh sausage. Basically; the instructions I provided is just another way to safely fully cook fresh sausage. I generally will cook fresh sausage in the oven at 325°F, high heat on the grill, sautéed in a frying pan or occasionally will poach them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

newsmoker22

Thanks a lot Habanero very good info that clears it up for me. I mostly make fresh sausage but now that I got the bradley I like doing some in the smoker I just want to stay away from the nitrites.
avid bow hunter, smoke everything i harvest