Brine Container

Started by jon515, April 21, 2015, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon515

Hello, I am new to smoking and have had my smoker now for about a month and I am starting to consider chicken.  My question, which could be a silly one is what type of container do people on here use to soak something the size of a chicken or turkey?

Thank you,

Jon

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

jon515

Did you find that at a restaurant supply store?

Grouperman941

I got it at a GFS (Gordon Food Service) store. It is sort of a restaurant supply store -- bulk food and a small selection of kitchen accessories. They are a restaurant supply company. We have a restaurant supply store that has kitchen fixtures and stuff, and they did not have the buckets.

For smaller things, I use a large size Rubbermaid storage container, BTW.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

NorthShoreMN

Google "the Briner" made in several sizes with a part that you put in and turn to keep your chicken, turkey or brisket submerged.  Works well easy to clean.

Paul
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
― Mahatma Gandhi
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

beefmann

i have the exact same container,, and in several sizes with  lids,,, use them all the time for brining and curing,.. got mine at  smart and final

Habanero Smoker

If you have the refrigerator space, five gallon food buckets are also very useful for larger items such as turkeys and hams. You often can get them free or at a minimal cost from a fast food place, or from a deli. Five gallon buckets are also sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Just make sure the Recycle number on the bottom of the pail is a #1, #2, #4 or #5. Those numbers are generally safe for food contact. Another indicator of food safe plastic, can be a symbol of a wine glass and fork, though that symbol is not always used. I've got several five gallon buckets that were used to store dill pickles, and none of those buckets have the wine glass/fork symbol; just the #2 recycle symbol.

For smaller amounts, I have used one gallon sealable bags, and even wet brined a 4 pound chicken in a two gallon sealable bag.

Had to edit; previous post provided a wrong food safe recycle number.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

You can also try www.webstaurant.com , and Restaurant Depot if you have one in your area for the Cambro containers like that pictured. The food grade plastic pails @ Lowes, etc. also have a sticker on the side  stating such. I use them when brining hams. You can also use food grade stainless(304, 316), or a non-reactive metal like an enamelware canning pot.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

squirtthecat

Got a bakery nearby?   3 gallon frosting buckets work great...    They can't reuse them, so they would be happy to give you one (or sell for a couple bucks).   They are about the size of a 25lb bucket of cat litter.

jon515

Thank you to everyone for the replies!  This is a very friendly forum for someone new to smoking!