Getting really frustrated

Started by mrielly, April 26, 2015, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrielly

Smoker burner works but there is no heat in the cabinet
I preheated the cabinet for 2 hours and the temp has not risen over 100
Plugs are in, vent is halfway closed, and the outside temp is in the 70s with no wind
Not sure what to do
I have $80 of meat ready to go in
Any suggestions?
At this point I think my only option is to put the meat in my oven and throw this smoker out...

KyNola

I'm sorry for your frustration.  Is the heating element glowing red?  If it is not then let's try a couple of things to see if we can get you going.  I know you said the plugs are in but humor me and unplug them all and plug them back in, pressing them in extra hard this time.  Sometimes the plugs appear to be properly plugged in but are not making a connection.  Check the heating element again.  Still not glowing red? Check all of the connections inside your smoke generator.  I "think" on the new BS611 there is a panel you can remove from the generator to gain access to the connections.  Check the heating element again.  Still not glowing red? Try plugging the tower directly into your outlet and see if the heating element glows red.  If it doesn't your heating element has probably gone out.  While it is a pain in the neck the heating element is easily replaced.

Hope this helps.

mrielly

I tried all those. :(

I don't see a way to remove the back panel.

I also tried bypassing the smoker box and plugging in the cabinet directly. The heating element in the back is not glowing red. I can put my hand in the box and it is barely warm. I think I am screwed.

KyNola

Short of a loose connection inside the smoke generator I would say your heating element has gone bad. That sucks when you have a load of meat ready to go but better it go out before you start rather than midway through and you not notice it.

sir_smokes_alot

I feel your pain man.  I just posted about this topic, having already replaced the damn heating element and mine still won't heat up.  I've tried all the troubleshooting I can think of and as suggested in this post.  Hope a new heating element works for yours.  Good luck!

Bubby-Joe

Quote from: mrielly on April 26, 2015, 07:28:44 AM
Smoker burner works but there is no heat in the cabinet
I preheated the cabinet for 2 hours and the temp has not risen over 100
Plugs are in, vent is halfway closed, and the outside temp is in the 70s with no wind
Not sure what to do
I have $80 of meat ready to go in
Any suggestions?
At this point I think my only option is to put the meat in my oven and throw this smoker out...

Sorry if this seems wrong but I thought you were using a 2 rack but if problem is with a 4 or 6 rack check the heater wiring and any fuses if installed, make sure wire has continuity on all three wires in the connector wire.  The heater element should have continuity also but a way higher value.  The 2 rack units this seems to be most of there problems.  Never pull on the wires but pull diecrtly on the plug to discconect cords

On 2 rack units look under the unit when you plug it in and turn on the oven control is the little fan visible through the bottom turning or is it bound up on the bottom tin.  I have 2 of them and without this fan turning the unit won't smoke properly or heatup, the heater is forced air from the fan in question into the oven part.  On one of mine I removed the fan relief metal to hand turn the fan to start and then it works normal.  Overall a very poor design the fan blade binds on the poorly aligned bottom metal and the fan mine was out over 1/2 inch the second by 3/8ths cooler weather also causes a very slow start to this fan.  I was asked to find the problem with my unit by the store I got it from and these are my observations so if I hand start the fan all is good and my unit works great until the next cold start.
Bradley 6 rack with extras
1 1/2 Bradley 2 racks with problems electronics good
2 little chief's
Old bear chewed cold smoker box homemade

mrielly

I finally got around to replacing the heating element.

It still does not get above 100 or so degrees. I checked all the connections and made sure everything was tight.

Is there anything else I can check? I really miss being able to use it. :(

beefmann

check to see if you  have proper voltage to the  element 

GusRobin

Not sure if this was mentioned but what else is running on the same circuit? The Bradley doesn't like to share.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

cathouse willy

I can sense your frustration but take a deep breath and step back a bit.Your smoker CAN be made to work, they are fairly simple electric devices with a few electronic smarts added.First off, has it ever worked? Next do you have any electrical savvy and do you have a multimeter? The meter or a test lamp will help immensely.  First check the power cable for the oven, plug a lamp or a similar thing into the female end to test it.The back panel can be removed,many members have added extra elements and fans which requires the back panel to come off. There is a fusible link and a high temp sensor under it, either when operated open the power to the element.I can't help with the panel removal as I've not done it but hopefully someone who has will chime in. once the back cover is off do a visual and a wiggle test on the wiring.After that the meter is a must to find what's wrong. Good luck
Hope this helps
Cathouse

tskeeter

I'm with Willy suspecting the fusible link.  If you canverify that you have power to the cabinet, but no power to the element, the component in between is the fusible link that is a part of the red power supply wire.  If you look at the Bradley parts on the Yard and Pool website, you can see what this part looks like.  Replacement is easy.  Remove the screws that hold the back panel in place.  Disconnect the red power wire at the spade connector, at the ring connector at the element, and loosen the clip that holds the link to the back wall of the cabinet.  Reverse procedure to reassemble.  With any luck, resume smoking.

mrielly

I opened up the box this morning and checked all the connections. Everything was tight. I put it all back and turned it on again. I left it on for 2.5 hours. The temperature never got above 120. Before it wasn't getting much above 100.

The heating element is not glowing red but it is hot. It's a brand new element.

Is there a way to contact Bradley?

GusRobin

(866) 508-7514   Mon -Fri 8:00 - 4:30 CST
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

sounds like one of two  issues, low voltage to the element or a  bad element...  check the voltage at the smoker,... should be between 115 and 120 volts,,, heating element  should  be  between 28 and 32  ohms is  memory serves me right

TedEbear

You're not running the primary power through an extension cord, are you?  Unless it is a big, heavy duty extension cord, the Bradley will not run properly with it.