Keypad buttons

Started by seebok01, April 26, 2015, 03:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seebok01

I've got a Jim Beam model with a digital smoke generator.  The keypad buttons have disintegrated away--no plastic/film covering left.  Is this common?  Why'it happen so I can avoid in the future?  Is there any fix or do I need an entirely new smoke generator?  Thx!

KyNola

How long have you owned your Jim Beam model?  My BDS 4 rack is 8 years old and the buttons look brand new.  How do you store your smoke generator?  Never heard of this issue before.

seebok01

During the summer the unit is on my deck, south facing south,  so the sun is always on it.  During the winter I stored the smoke generator in the smoker box, in my cold Chicago garage.  This spring when I went to set the smoker up, the buttons were gone.  The only other thing I can think of is mice.  But I see no evidence of them.

seebok01

It's only two years old.

Habanero Smoker

Hi seebok01;

Welcome to the forum.

If the buttons function properly, then you only need to replace the plastic front cover plate. The plastic front cover is easily remove, and replaced. Contact Bradley to see if the will sell you a front cover for your generator. The below link gives you most of the directions on how to remove and replace the front cover.
Why won't my Digital Bradley Smoker turn on?

As for the plastic deteriorating, if you don't have the cover, it is possible that excessive exposure to the UV light from the sun may have cause the problem. If you don't have a cover, it would be beneficial to purchase one. If possible, turn the smoker so that it is not facing directly into the sun. I've seen products you can spray on certain plastics that add additional UV protection. One of those products may help, but check the label to make sure it can be spray on the type of plastic the front cover plate is made of.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seebok01

I will call them.  Thx!