Smoking 3 separate pork butts approx 4lb each

Started by YorkieSmith, May 01, 2015, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YorkieSmith

Greetings all,

Extremely new to this smoking fun -  done a bit of salmon since getting my OBS which has gone down nicely with the family.  Going to do my first pulled pork for a party tomorrow night.  The scenario is that I have 3 smallish pork butts/shoulders each weighing approximately 4 pounds each.  How long should I be expecting to smoke these for (basing on temp 225F)?  I am guessing rather than adding up the combined weight and multiply by 1.5 hours, I simply take the 4 and multiply by 1.5 giving 6 hours?

Of course I will be taking a reading of the internal temperature but need to get a rough idea for planning purposes.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Al (Brit Smoker)

KyNola

The 1.5 hours per pound is a general rule of thumb but were I you I would allow extra time in case the stall takes longer than expected.  In the end it all depends on the pig.  If it gets finished early you can always wrap the butts in foil, then wrap in a towel and place in any empty cooler or microwave(don't turn it on).  It will hold them hot for 4 or more hours.

TMB

Quote from: KyNola on May 01, 2015, 07:35:21 AM
The 1.5 hours per pound is a general rule of thumb but were I you I would allow extra time in case the stall takes longer than expected.  In the end it all depends on the pig.  If it gets finished early you can always wrap the butts in foil, then wrap in a towel and place in any empty cooler or microwave(don't turn it on).  It will hold them hot for 4 or more hours.
Dare I ask?? ;)

No really, listen to KyNola he is right on
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!