First try at Canadian bacon

Started by TMB, May 04, 2015, 06:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Well Kimmie and I have been eating leaner meats and Canadian Bacon fit the bill for awhile.   The problem is Kimmie gets tired of things quick and eating Canadian Bacon for weeks has taken it's toll on her.   So, in the interest of keeping Kimmie happy I decided to try something new ;)   

The other night I was going through some spices I had and the idea hit me........

Why not make your own Canadian style bacon and use the SUPER SECRET Gibson's sausage mix (no relation to Big Bob Gibson)  This is the same mix I use to make breakfast sausage with Tee, Dee, Art, Pam and many others had this at the GA gathering last year. So I said to my self why not try to make C/B with it :)

So secret I don't even know what's in it. Rick and Chris have samples so I hope they can clone it for me

Went to the store bought 2.32 lbs of pork loin and mixed up a batch of mix with #1 cure so I can slow smoke it when it's ready in seven days (I hope)

Here are the players, Super Duper mix, #1 cure and pork loin

I mixed in 6 Tbs of mix and 1/2 tsp of #1 cure

Here they are in the bag getting them mixed and ready to go into the fridge for seven day

Will post a picture in a few days after it has had time to sit.  I will mix it up everday to make sure the cure and mix get into the meat.     

Thanks to Rick and Chris for the info, I would never have tried this on my own but knowing you and the rest of the folks 
on this site I can always get help if needed

See you in a few days
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TMB

Well here are the results...   Taste is wonderful and texture not bad

Not to dang bad if I do say so.  Kimmie loved it so all good  ;)

Ran the Bradley on 150 for 2 hrs with smoke, once it hit around 125 IT I turned it up till it hit 152 pulled and wrapped in plastic and in the fridge for a few hrs before trying it

KyNola

TMB

Quote from: KyNola on May 04, 2015, 07:09:42 AM
Great finished product TMB!
Thanks, looking forward to the next try.   Will be using Chris's method next time

Salmonsmoker

Rats, this posted a day late TBM!! I just put two whole pork loins in the cure yesterday. It would have been great to try this spice combo on one.  Next time for sure! Thanks for posting the idea.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ragweed

Great idea!  Finished product looks great!  I'm just in the midst of cleaning up a loin for CB.  Think I'll "try something" too.  Thanks for posting.

TMB

This is the first time I tried my Bradley on anything like this and now I see why a PID is so important.  Although the Bradley did outstanding job it was hard to keep my OBS at the correct temp.   If I continue make CB I will invest in a PID for sure cause a new 6 rack ain't going to happen anytime soon   

beefmann

dave01

haven't tried canadian bacon yet but soon. this looks great

Tenpoint5

I like how the seasoning pulled up into the meat. How much of the flavor went into the middle of the meat?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 05, 2015, 12:32:10 PM
I like how the seasoning pulled up into the meat. How much of the flavor went into the middle of the meat?
Fair amount I'd say.  Really want to try this your way it would = MORE flavor

Saber 4

Great looking Super CB you got there Tommy