Does this make any sense?

Started by Pistol Pete, May 06, 2015, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

I will be vacationing in North Carolina in August.  The group will include Mrs Lucky, my Out-Laws. our adult children and 2 grandkids that rule supreme.  The venue is an incredibly expensive beachfront home in Nags Head North Carolina.  Pool, spa, elevator, media room....but NO smoker!  My original plan was to bring mine.  I even bought an additional element and lots of pucks.   (Red's Gear had them on sale)  Mrs Lucky has now decided that she doesn't want the smell  (check that....AROMA) of smoke in her new ride.  Given the recent adverse publicity on how domestic differences are handled in venues such as the NFL, I decided to acceed to her wishes.  My son, the holder of an incredibly expensive college education from a prestigious university , suggested I pre-smoke the week before, then freeze the loins, shoulders, and butts and heat them on a grill during the week.  I would like to think I did not waste my money on his education.  Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer?  All will be appreciated.

Pete

I have only one fault...lack of judgement.

Grouperman941

Pre-smoking and freezing works great.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

dave01

bundy

Saber 4

Works great, have done it many times. With a vacumn sealer you can reheat in an electric turkey roaster full of hot water.

Scotty-G

Almost every year I pre-smoke brisket, pulled pork & ribs and then vacuum seal up to 2 weeks in advanced, so there is time in the freezer involved too.
I take them into work and nuke them there.
Comes out GREAT!

Scotty-G

watchdog56

I agree with all the above. Sounds like they have you going in the right direction.

Wildcat

Crock pot is also good for reheating.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Beekeeper

As stated by several above, smoking, then freezing, works nicely.  I do this for camping quite frequently with ribs, both spare and baby back.  Pulled pork, pork steaks, and venison all work well to vacuum seal, reheat, and serve. 

Occasionally, I will tote my smoker along for a long weekend of camping, but if the mood doesn't strike me to do so, I will smoke the weekend before, seal it up, and freeze.  Works great..........and no one can tell it isn't fresh out of the Bradley!