heating element not working

Started by mojo075, May 17, 2015, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo075

Having trouble with the heating element in tower. Power works to smoke box but when I plug in tower the light shuts off. And heating element in the tower will not work.

Habanero Smoker

Hi mojo075;

Welcome to the forum.

To better assist you, it would be best if you listed which model you have.

Also the below site may be beneficial for troubleshooting your problem:

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mojo075

Sorry it says its a model no. BS611

BigBBQLuv

I'm trying to help Mojo075 get his smoker going. He has the new OBS 4 rack which has never been used before. the wires are all plugged in correctly and the puck burner works good. The red lights for the tower and the puck burner both turn on when the puck burner switch is turned on.  When we plug the power cable from the back of the puck burner into the tower, the red light for the tower goes off.  The heating element does not heat up at all. We took the side cover off the puck burner box to look for loose wires and found none.  I would think if it was a bad element, the red light on the puck burner box would remain lit.   Any ides?  Please help.   

michsmoker

Have you tried plugging the tower directly to the outlet?
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

mojo075

Yes and the element did get hot but when I plug the smoker into the tower the light indicator goes out.

KyNola

If you plug the tower directly into the outlet and the element heats up, there is one of two things. The jumper cable is not plugged in properly or the connections in the smoke generator are not properly connected.  Go look for those issues.

mojo075

I checked and its plugged in and its tight fitting. The light stays on until I plug it into the tower. Even if I have the jumper cable plugged into the smoker it stays on.

Tiny Tim

Try using the jumper cord as an extension for the main cord, when plugging the tower directly to the wall.  If the element doesn't heat up in this format, the jumper cord is bad...if it does work, well, I tried.

mojo075

I just plugged the jumper cable into the main power cord and it did heat up. So it has to be in the smoker its self.

Habanero Smoker

It appears that the tower wiring is alright. Since none of the suggestions above worked, you should call Bradley. It may be that the wiring inside the generator is faulty.

One other thought. If you have a multi meter, you can check the continuity of the wires in the jumper cable to see if that may be the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)