Brining and smoking my own hamzilla

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, May 22, 2015, 03:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I've been wanting to try this for a while and finally worked up the nerve.  A new butcher opened near me so I decided to order a fresh, whole pork leg. He got me a beautiful leg, about 26 pounds. I'm using Habanero's brine recipe from the susanminor site, looked good and smelled good while preparing. The butcher is curious and wants to taste the end result.

It just went into the brine so I'll update in a week or so when I finish smoking. I'm both nervous and excited, but looking forward to the end result. I'm on my phone so I apologize if the formatting is weird.

Fresh from the butcher

Cleaned up, about 23 pounds

WoodlawnSmoker

This was a really fun project from start to finish.  I took lots of notes during the project so I'll know what to expect and what to tweak next time.  And just to challenge me further, we lost our power during an electrical storm right in the middle of my smoke.  Luckily I had a small, portable generator that worked very well with the Bradley to get me through.  I'm quite pleased with the final result and will do it again for sure.  I'll add some more pics when I carve and eat but I need some sleep right now, long day.

Grouperman941

Great project. Looks really good. I can't wait to see the inside. This is something I have not tried yet, but I want to.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Grouperman941 on May 31, 2015, 07:30:34 AM
Great project. Looks really good. I can't wait to see the inside. This is something I have not tried yet, but I want to.

You need to give it a try Grouper! My home cured and smoked hams are the talk of the family get-togethers. I've been assigned the ham-bringer-overer guy for life.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

piratey

WoodlawnSmoker

Nice taste in the end.  I still haven't glazed any pieces yet but will soon.  Cut it up into a couple of smaller hams for Sunday dinners, cut some steaks, sliced some for sandwiches and cubed some for soup.  This pig will live on for a while and that's just fine.  Will definetly do this again.  Haven't gotten a piece to my butcher yet, maybe this weekend.

Salmonsmoker

Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.