Where did all the oldtimers go?

Started by Wildcat, May 22, 2015, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Did you guys fall off the planet the last time we sling shotted around the sun? Seems like there are only 5 or 6 that are still posting and even those do not post as much.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Yeah I have been so busy myself. Work all week, work all weekend cleaning up the property. My dad left a huge mess and I have to clean it up. We have a 30x 60 metal clad shop that we could barely walk threw. Now it is getting close to empty. I haven't smoked anything in over a year. But yeah All the regulars are absent lately.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

Glad your getting things together. Been rather busy myself. Have not done anything overnight in a while, but have done turkey, ribs,  chicken and steaks fairy regular. Got company coming over this afternoon and have five 16 plus ounce ribeye steaks ready for the Davy Crocket.

KyNola

Heh, where did they all go?  They got tired of the BS from the "experts".  That's where they went.  Bradley has a Facebook page that is more active than the Forum.  Bradley Smoker Fan Club.  It's a closed group so you have to be admitted.  I'm an admin on that page as well so let me know and I will be sure to admit you.

Wildcat

Wow! This is the first I have heard of it. How long has this been going on?

pensrock

I stop in once in a while. But since my stomach surgery last Sept. I have not been smoking very much. Trying to get it worked back into my very small limited diet. I have done a couple small racks of ribs and a small pork but but that is about it. I do go the the Facebook group also but since I have been not smoking much do not even post there as much as I normally would.

Wildcat

I would hate to have stomach surgery. Gall bladder removal was bad enough. I now have to limit my grease intake or pay the price.

Wildcat

Pens -  How did you find out about the facebook group? Seems like I somehow failed to get the memo.

Jim O

Guess the Facebook link is only for the "chosen few" ! Just sayin' .
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

iceman

I'm still kick'n sort of. According to Miss Ann I'm only an itchy trigger finger away from even that!  :o  ;D Just been so busy with trying to build the new place and all. No more trips across the pond to goof off till I get this one built. :'( I don't do the facebook thing but I think KyNola is on to something about why the others have been hanging out elsewhere.
Good to hear from you guys though. Hope all is well for everyone.  :)

pensrock

There are quite a few users at the Facebook site. Not sure who actually started it but I have been on there for quite a while. Since I'm on Facebook doing a few other things anyway its quick to see what is going on while there. But I almost always check on here as well a few times each week.
   I'm a member of the Red Knights Motorcycle Club which is an international motorcycle club for firefighters. Many of the Chapters both from the US, Canada and international have pages on Facebook so I spend a lot of time there as well as the ABATE of PA motorcycle pages. Unfortunately my back problems have not gone away as expected from losing almost 100 pounds. So I have not been able to ride any this year, I'm seriously considering selling my two motorcycles and getting a trike which will be much easier on my back and still allow me to get out there and ride.
   Pat.... Miss Ann will keep you busy, I'm sure of that. :D
   Wildcat... I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and it was much easier than the major surgery with the stomach. But now that I'm getting back to eating most foods again, just a tiny portion though, I'm happy I did it. I had to do it because my diabetes was so bad it was causing kidney damage and this was the only way to try to stay off dialysis. I had hoped once the surgery was over my insulin use would have stopped like many others who had the surgery had done. But no not for me, I'm still on insulin much lower doses and the doctor says maybe with more time I can still get off it, but I'm doubting it. The fact I'm off the high concentrated insulin and using normal insulin is a big plus.

Wildcat

Sure hate that your having so much med problems Pens.

Glad your back home Pat. You building a new place in the same town?

I hate using facebook myself but most of my family do nothing but facebook so I use it. Not exactly sure what I am doing sometimes. Would rather talk or text.

Since my friend Larry offered I may give it a try if I can figure out how. Shoot for all I know I might be one of the reasons some of them go there instead of the forum.

Habanero Smoker

I'm cooking more often with charcoal, pellets and gas. I monitor the site to see is someone needs help, and for the recipe site. I've notice a decline starting sometime back. From my perspective, there are 2 or 3 "experts" that would create a hostile environment on the forum, and behind the scenes; towards and against anyone who express an alternate opinion, or would point out unsafe food practices, major mistakes etc. Several months ago, one sent me a halfhearted apology for his behavior over the years. Also there seems to be covert and some overt recruiting members from the site to other forums.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Hi Habs. I have noticed your posts and personally pay close attention to your input. Most of what I have learned on this forum has been from you, KyNola, Iceman, Pensrock, and several other folks. There are some variable methods posted that work just fine but some of the folks posting get their hackles up because they think theirs is the only way it should be done. Never could see the sense in it. I personally love how you explain the science behind it. It helps me to understand things a lot more. I have seen a couple of folks mistakenly take some of your explanations of what was going on as an attack on methods they and others were using. I understood their views and also understood they were simply not understanding what you were trying to explain.

I too have a long ago history with a few of the oldtimers. I suspect some of the folks get upset when I express my opinion on the actual need to FTC butts. Not a major issue, but I'm sure some take offense if I express my views. The way I see it, differing views can add to the learning experience. Folks can try the various methods and choose what works for them.

By the way - I absolutely love your Syracuse potatoes.

Shuswap

I am an avid follower of six meat related forums.  The loss of posts by the qualified members is in general decline but that is true in many volunteer based activities.  Aging and health issues are understandable but it is a real PITA when personalities and ego get involved.  I'm a retired lawyer living in a small rural community.  When folks come to me for legal advice because they are in the middle of a community controversy, I refuse and remind them to think community first and park their self interest at home.