Where did all the oldtimers go?

Started by Wildcat, May 22, 2015, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

Quote from: Tiny Tim on May 26, 2015, 05:36:45 PM
Sadly, they're both waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.  So far I have stuck to my plan of not getting any more pets until I have a human companion, but it's getting more and more difficult...kitten and puppy pictures are just too dang cute.
Just a little temptation. With a pup like this you'd be irresistable

Wildcat

Tiny - I'm sure you have your reasons but self torture often times is not worth it. IMHO pets are better companions than most humans.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

Willy, that is a great looking pup!

manxman

Noticed a couple of months back it is 10 years since I bought my BS (and joined the forum), the early years were brilliant and I owe most of what I know to the "old timers" a number of whom haven't visited the forum for a long while now. I do still pop by most days and always look for and listen to what Habs, TP5, Wildcat, iceman, KyNola, pensrock and a handful of others have to say. However the sense of camaraderie and friendship has diminished a lot over time, perhaps the forum has been a victim of it's own success as the years have passed? Also agree with comments from Habs and some others on this topic.

My BS is still going strong and I am still probably averaging maybe 12 - 15 smokes a year, lot less adventurous nowadays but simply don't get the time to do as much as I would like. From a forum point of view I do miss "olden times"... a phrase my 14 year old son delights in using as in "Dad, what was the fishing like in olden times when you were a boy!"  >:( 8) :)

Best wishes to all, oldtimer or new!  :)
Manxman

Wildcat

Good to see your still around Manxman. I wonder if Lil Smoker still takes a look.

manxman

Think LS has been gone a while, looked up a few people I hadn't seen posting a couple of months back  and seem to remember it was quite well over a year?
Manxman

Wildcat

We sent each other a couple of pm's a few months back. He was pretty busy. I know for a good while he woud just read some of the the posts to keep up.

Roget

I know I miss reading the posts from all the "oldtimers"

I was out with a couple of surgeries & when I checked in to the forum, I hardly knew any one posting.

I owe everything I know about smoking to the "oldtimers". I knew nothing about smoking when I bought my Bradley and promptly joined this forum. (I still don't know half what most of them know)

I knew I could always come here for advice & to talk about smoking. The long time posters just made me feel at home. Always friendly.

It just isn't the same now. I would hope they would come back. Like Widcat, I don't do facebook.
YCDBSOYA

KyNola

WC, thank you for starting this thread.  It has been a very interesting exercise to see that there are still lots of users out there who regularly visit the Forum but for whatever reason choose to no longer post.

Regardless, good to know you guys are still out there.  Drop in and say hello every once in a while.

Jim O

I do the facebook thing,but still love the Forum for ease of use. Don't have to scroll down thru many other posts to find a Bradley post. C'mon back oldtimers !!!
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on June 06, 2015, 07:27:20 AM
WC, thank you for starting this thread.  It has been a very interesting exercise to see that there are still lots of users out there who regularly visit the Forum but for whatever reason choose to no longer post.

Regardless, good to know you guys are still out there.  Drop in and say hello every once in a while.

;)

Wildcat

To everyone who replied on this thread - Thank you. I learned a little and am happy to see that all of you folks care about keeping the guys and gals that have been so helpful for so many years around. Personally it saddens me to think that so many of us had such egos as to cause people to break up into their own little clans. I have always looked upon this forum as another family that involved people from all walks of life and from around the whole world brought together by a love or fantasy of preparing great food for personal consumption. This forum has/had many very knowledgeable cooks, chefs, and other experts that provided a lot of knowledge to anyone who wanted it. Until the breakup I always thought that these knowledgeable folks all wanted one thing - to share their knowledge and experience with others (be they trained chefs or beginners). I am also confident that Bradley enabled this forum for that very purpose which, in turn, should have been beneficial to their sales. I purchased my Bradley because of what I read on these forums back when I retired. I hope all who are still on here stay a part of this forum. I fully understand not having time sometimes to be real active but one would be surprised at how a once in a while contribution can help someone in need.

Rodsmachineshop

found what works great to ad to a brine is boons farm wines since hi sugar content ,

NorthShoreMN

Quote from: Jim O on June 06, 2015, 09:00:57 AM
I do the facebook thing,but still love the Forum for ease of use. Don't have to scroll down thru many other posts to find a Bradley post. C'mon back oldtimers !!!
X2
I don't post as often but still read those that do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

tailfeathers

I'm still here on a more or less daily basis,  just don't tend to post all my cooks any more.  I'm not on Facebook and I still very much like this forum, I will try to post more regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!