Seasioning pealing?

Started by pfowl01, August 09, 2006, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello all,

Smoking some jerky right now and I noticed that some of the seasoning on the door is flaking off. Has anyone had this happen to them? I geuss I'll just clean that area off...should I reseason it right away or just don't worry about it until my next smoke.

iceman

Just brush the loose stuff off and wipe it down before using each time. No need to reseason. It will do that on the next smoke. ;D

asa

That original "seasoning" is just to get rid of the factory smell/taste/flavor. You won't have to worry about that again so just get rid of what is flaking off. You may find that even more comes off if you wipe it - it won't look good, but it will build up again over time, until some flakes off again.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

pfowl01

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pfowl01 on August 09, 2006, 08:46:27 AM
Hello all,

Smoking some jerky right now and I noticed that some of the seasoning on the door is flaking off. Has anyone had this happen to them? I geuss I'll just clean that area off...should I reseason it right away or just don't worry about it until my next smoke.
From reading some of your other posts, it doesn't appear that you are opening the vent far enough. This will cause the seasoning to peel much faster, due to moisture build up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pfowl01

Hab,

Your right on the money. After posting that question I realized that I only had the vent open 1/3 of the way. I usually open it about 3/4 of the way when I'm doing jerky. It just had been awhile since I had done any jerky and I forgot some details. I'll have to start writing things down from now on.