Riddle solved?-variations in heating element colour after a dual element mod

Started by Aussie Chaka, May 26, 2015, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie Chaka

I recently finished a dual element mod to my  brand new digital Bradley following the forum suggestions. A switch on the 2nd element's circuit was added as suggested, and it all works as advertised. Puzzled by the mentioned differences in the colour of the 2 hot elements I checked mine and found the following: when you run power directly to the smoker cabinet,  not via the digital contol box, the 2 elements burn with the same dull red colour, as they are both draw 500 watts each. However, when you hook up the digital control box to the smoker cabinet and run the smoker using the digital contoller, the rear, original element burns duller than the front newly added element. The front, new element on it's own circuit is drawing a full 500 watts. The new, rear element, now having power delivered to it via the digital controller box which draws 125 watts, is drawing only around 375 watts. I am not an electrician, but is this somewhere close to the answer to this riddle?
Bradley 6 rack digital, 2 X 500Watts, Auber PID, Big Daddy cold smoke.

pensrock

Can't say for sure cause I'm not real familiar with the internal workings of the digital unit but I suspect it must have a limit to the current it will let draw through the digital unit itself. I'm pretty sure most people who do the dual element mod also use a PID controller that is designed for the extra wattage.

Aussie Chaka

Hi Pensrock. I absolutely do use a PID when using both elements for all the reasons expounded by the forum. It was simply during the post modification installation checks that I noted that both elements glowed to the same intensity when not pulling power via the digital smoke generator, yet glowed differently when connected up to the smoke generator box which draws 125 Watts. Enjoy your day!

Sam66

QuoteThe new, rear element, now having power delivered to it via the digital controller box which draws 125 watts, is drawing only around 375 watts. I am not an electrician, but is this somewhere close to the answer to this riddle?

I don't think the fact that the SG draws 125w should make any difference to the current going to the element.

On mine (240v model) there looks to be a 100w resistor (located on the PCB) in series with the element.  I'm not sure if this is to drop the voltage across the element and only on the 240v models, or it is to mitigate a dead short if the element fails.  If they all have this resistor then it might explain the difference in colour you observed as the element will not be receiving the full supply voltage.

Aussie Chaka

Hi Sam66, I reckon you have hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for that. Aussie Chaka